Wort boiling: A "too high" concentration of hop oils can give a bitter grassy and veg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
Reading from the Institute of Brewing and Distiling they say that a long boil of hops with strong concentration of hop oils can result in vegetable and grassy bitterness. Is that true? If so, what is "high concentrations" and "long boil"? I guess that's hard to answer though...

I have had beers from a local nano micro brewery and in 3 of their beers I get this kind of profile which is identical. Grassy ,herbal and vegetable (little bit like cucumber skin) bitterness although citrus, dank and grapefruit are expected from the hops that were used. Can that be the problem then?

Reading from the Institute of Brewing and Distiling they say that a long boil of hops with strong concentration of hop oils can result in vegetable and grassy bitterness. Is that true? If so, what is "high concentrations" and "long boil"? I guess that's hard to answer though...

I have had beers from a local nano micro brewery and in 3 of their beers I get this kind of profile which is identical. Grassy ,herbal and vegetable (little bit like cucumber skin) bitterness although citrus, dank and grapefruit are expected from the hops that were used. Can that be the problem then?

Interesting, I get a vegetal note every once and a while, maybe like a tree leaf, or chewing on a green twig. I think it might be tannins in the malt. I seem to get it more with chocolate malts. I don't get it very often anymore and very faint, and I use many more adjuncts. I also boil my hops separate in about of gallon of water so pretty high concentration, but it only seems to happen in dark beers. Could also be the mashing technique.

Back