Wort Boil Over Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear85

Reaction score
Had my first boil over last night, and instead of mopping it up right away I foolishly left it to encrust onto my stove top during the boil.

Managed to clean up 95% of it last night with a lot of effort, but there is some that just won't come off with what I had in the kitchen.

Is there some genius product and/or method that'll take it off?

I've had good luck with hot water and just sponge it on. Let it sit for a bit and then use a green scrubby to take it right off... Having said that, I've not let it sit quite as long as you have.

Bar Keepers Friend is great. Works great on the flat glass stovetop. Gets all that junk up. Let it sit a bit

Also this product is awesome to polish kegs and kettles

if you have a stainless steel top, use some rubbing alcohol and let it sit first. then clean up all of the crumbs and the base of the spill with a soft rag. once it's all up, use a thick mixture of baking soda and hot water. again, let it sit and use a rag to gently work it into the stain. should get everything up. make sure you polish with a stainless steel polisher afterwards

I have a little steamer i got at costco, works perfect even if the wort has sat for a while.

If it is a glass top top, a razor blade held at a low angle works well and then finish it up with Bon Ami or some other low abrasive cleaner. That works well on my stove for most cooked on spills.

Bar Keepers Friend is great. Works great on the flat glass stovetop. Gets all that junk up. Let it sit a bit

Also this product is awesome to polish kegs and kettles

Second this. Always keep some in the kitchen. It will basically remove anything that burnt on, be on stoves or pots and pans.

BKF is an AWESOME product. I use it for my keggles all the time. I don't know why I've not used it on other surfaces though.

I had heard that boil overs on a ceramic cooking tops were unable to be cleaned. This is completely false. I have had minor spills, some of which I didn't even realize until days later. They all come off with elbow grease and Glass Cook Top heavy duty cleaner and polish. It even states "REMOVES BURNED ON FOODS". You can get it just about anywhere. Not sure if BKF is similar stuff but the stuff I have makes my stovetop look brand new.

Thanks for all the replies. I should have said that it's a porcelain enamel top. I'll try and find some BFK or Oxyclean or some other heavy duty cleaner, I was wondering if one was definitely the best but it seems like they each have their own following!

Cheers.

Back