Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Founders All Day is a session beer which is supposed to be easier to drink with a lower ABV. I like Ipa's but don't care for New Belgium Ranger.

"session beer
n.

Any beer that contains no higher than 5 percent ABV, featuring a balance between malt and hop characters (ingredients) and, typically, a clean finish - a combination of which creates a beer with high drinkability. The purpose of a session beer is to allow a beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or session, without overwhelming the senses or reaching inappropriate levels of intoxication. "

I understood that it would be low in ABV and that it might not be the fullest beer ever, I was just hoping for a little more of something besides hops.

The saranac imperial IPA was one of my least favorites, although I'm sure I've had way worse that I can't remember. The saranac was very syrupy, heavy bodied and mostly hop bitterness without enough aroma for me.

Brew Rebellion IPA from Yucaipa, CA. Worst IPA I ever tasted and I've brewed some bad ones. This tasted like it had all of the early problems you get when you first start brewing.

Hopefully those guys can get things on track but seriously, when my first impression was "Why did they bottle this?" It's not looking good.

Another view of this: I had a torpedo on Tuesday and another today. Loved it on Tuesday, but today i took a drink after a couple pieces of sushi, and it smelled like foot. Food you are eating (or have eaten previously) can make such a huge difference. Without the sushi I get the delicious grapefruit flavor, but now with sushi, feet.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Another view of this: I had a torpedo on Tuesday and another today. Loved it on Tuesday, but today i took a drink after a couple pieces of sushi, and it smelled like foot. Food you are eating (or have eaten previously) can make such a huge difference. Without the sushi I get the delicious grapefruit flavor, but now with sushi, feet.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Possible, or maybe it was a bad batch? Lagers always go best with sushi though because of the light flavor profile of a lager doesn't overpower the taste of the fish

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

This is this hatin' on IPA room. I've had some bad examples of IPA but some suggested here ain't that bad.

+1

Don't suggest beers for an all time bad list if you hate the style to begin with. The Southern Tier dis is just silly. It might not be world class but there is nothing offensive about it at all.

+1

Don't suggest beers for an all time bad list if you hate the style to begin with. The Southern Tier dis is just silly. It might not be world class but there is nothing offensive about it at all.

Again, not hating on the style man, people are getting the wrong idea. Just saying, for whomever wants to say, what is the worst IPA they've ever tried. It's like saying Bud Light is the worst Lager I've ever tried, therefore I hate lagers (???)
Now if I decided to make a "Worst Belgian ale I've ever tried" thread, I'd have to say Duvel, but some people may not agree with me ;)

+1

Definitely nothing offensive, I'll drink one if offered.

But - like every other Southern Tier I've tasted so far - imo it's just an average brew. Have yet to understand why some folks get so excited about ST beers...

Cheers!

Again, not hating on the style man, people are getting the wrong idea. Just saying, for whomever wants to say, what is the worst IPA they've ever tried. It's like saying Bud Light is the worst Lager I've ever tried, therefore I hate lagers (???)
Now if I decided to make a "Worst Belgian ale I've ever tried" thread, I'd have to say Duvel, but some people may not agree with me ;)

I feel you bro. The " it's too bitter" comments and such is what I'm referring too. Um, we're talking IPA...

Possible, or maybe it was a bad batch? Lagers always go best with sushi though because of the light flavor profile of a lager doesn't overpower the taste of the fish

Also possible, any time i try a beer that just tastes wrong I will give it another try.

For me, Saranac White IPA. I tasted zero hops and didn't like the malt profile, but I bought it in China so there's no telling how old it may have been.

Second place is probably Master Gao's Baby IPA - one of China's first Chinese-run craft breweries. Significantly undercarbed, no real malt profile, and very little hop presence in spite of being brewed with, I believe, seven different varieties of hops. You'd think that if they're tossing in seven varieties, there would be enough to taste the hops flavor, if not the unique qualities of each variety, but it was just cold, undercarbed, tasteless beer.

It must be taste the piney resin of the torpedo is one of my faves. I am not a huge ranger fan of new belgium

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app
Ranger was the one that immediately came to my mind. It isnt bad but it is my least favourite IPA

+1

I also have to agree that this thread is getting stranger and stranger by the day. I wonder how many IPAs some of these people have tried (not flaming either). I say this because, while taste is subjective, several beers listed are not bad beers, they are executed well for the style. I can understand that they don't like them but there are actually badly executed and horribly tasting IPAs out there. Several have been pointed out.

This is begging to turn in to the "worst commercial beer thread." Where many people are spot on and list horribly off and poorly executed beers. But some posts are puzzling to say the least. The beer they list is not even some extreme beer (high ABV, strange spiced up beer like a rosemary habenero, etc) and they are by reputable companies. Some are even very tame versions of beer. And again, I can see how people don't like it but its the worst? Really? Of all the beers they have tried?

I also have to agree that this thread is getting stranger and stranger by the day. I wonder how many IPAs some of these people have tried (not flaming either). I say this because, while taste is subjective, several beers listed are not bad beers, they are executed well for the style. I can understand that they don't like them but there are actually badly executed and horribly tasting IPAs out there. Several have been pointed out.

This is begging to turn in to the "worst commercial beer thread." Where many people are spot on and list horribly off and poorly executed beers. But some posts are puzzling to say the least. The beer they list is not even some extreme beer (high ABV, strange spiced up beer like a rosemary habenero, etc) and they are by reputable companies. Some are even very tame versions of beer. And again, I can see how people don't like it but its the worst? Really? Of all the beers they have tried?

Agreed. If you don't like IPA's don't flame them! IPA's are my favorite style, and many listed here are quite good. I've had plenty I don't like, or have so little hops they barely qualify as beer let alone an IPA, but that does not make them bad.
Maybe replies should be limited to those that like IPA's in general! :mug:

i did not care for mad hatter ipa..but i think it was old and all the hops oxidizes making the caramel malts the star of the show..i cant stand prominent heavy caramel notes in ipa's or any other beer for that matter

i did not care for mad hatter ipa..but i think it was old and all the hops oxidizes making the caramel malts the star of the show..i cant stand prominent heavy caramel notes in ipa's or any other beer for that matter

I liked it a lot when I had it on tap in Ann Arbor. I then bought a six pack and was not really happy with it.

I liked it a lot when I had it on tap in Ann Arbor. I then bought a six pack and was not really happy with it.

yeah i truly believe the bottles i got were old so im not gonna write it off yet..i gotta try a fresh batch to really judge it

IPA is my favorite style. The 1st beer I try at a new brewery is their IPA (assuming they have one). That said it took me over 50/100 or so ipa until I could really tell the difference from one brew to the next -- at 1st they all tasted the same to me pretty much. Hops are like scotch for me. Once you acquire a taste for it, there's really nothing else like it.

There's only one that I can say i don't like that hasn't gone bad because of old bottle/storage is Dogfish 61 and that's only because i don't like grapes (in my beer)

I also dislike the all day IPA from founders -- too much grapefruit for me.

I've got one now that might almost contradict my previous posts in this thread...

Enjoy By IPA.

I found myself struggling to get through the 2-14-14. I had the same problem with the November date but I reserved judgment until I had a second batch.

It's a well made beer malt-wise and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden at 9.4%, but the hop character is all wrong.

Garlicky, oniony mess. I actually said "disgusting" after a swig. I love IPAs, and this might not be the worst, but IMHO it's really over-rated. It's almost like they used Columbus exclusively or something. Ugh.

Had 2 beers yesterday that made me think of this thread. They were from this brand new brewery in South Florida called 'Saltwater Brewery'. It's a beautiful brewery and i think this is their first brew using the system so i should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Their IPA and x2IPA are really bad. Had a really bad taste that i can't discribe. I would say maybe just a bad batch but I heard that the owner is really happy with the turnout. I've had 5 friends go there at different times and they all say the same thing.

Of all the IPAs I have tried the only one I really, truly disliked was Rampant from New Belgium. I couldn't make it through the bottle. I plan on trying it one more time just to see if I got a bad one or not.

Sweetwater Brewing Company's Whiplash White IPA... The only beer I have EVER sent back. I would have paid them twice not to have served it in the first place.

Lemme second Majic Hat IPA as worst. If it's not the worst it's right up there with some of the worst. I've had other bad IPAs but I really don't have a mind for remembering what I don't like.

magic hat IPA is indeed bad. but I've had much worse. can't remember the names, but when I give my homebrew away for free (frequently) my friends always try to give back by buying cheaper microbrews they find at the store. some of the lesser known ones were god-awful, couldn't even finish them.

I'd consider Torpedo to be mediocre, but not bad. if it's at a party, I'll drink it.

right now the best IPA I can find in a bottle locally is Peak Organic IPA.

Back