Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grant's IPA from late 90s, but I think it was more English. Nowadays...NB Rampant (just something weird), tried to embrace Modus Hoperandi (like someone squeezed in some extra garlic or something).

Grant's IPA from late 90s, but I think it was more English. Nowadays...NB Rampant (just something weird), tried to embrace Modus Hoperandi (like someone squeezed in some extra garlic or something).

Agreed!! They should have named rampant,... rancid

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I like Rampant, but it seems too similar to Ranger.

I disagree, ranger tastes pretty good to me, but rampant... not bad, just a weird almost solvent like feel to it. It makes my tongue feel weird.

Had a SKA decadent for first time on tap last year straight rubbing alcohol only time I've had that beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't recall the name of the brew, but it was from a local brewery (Shoreline brewery in Michigan City).

I always do the "flights" when I go in, and there's rarely a beer I don't like, but bad IPAs are truly bad beer. This one tasted like somebody was super dehydrated and pissed into a bottle full of hops they dug out of a hobo's butt.

I had to down it like a shot, then do the same to my girlfriend's glass. That was not fun. The next drink was a kickass wee heavy though, so things got better.

Don't recall the name of the brew, but it was from a local brewery (Shoreline brewery in Michigan City).

I always do the "flights" when I go in, and there's rarely a beer I don't like, but bad IPAs are truly bad beer. This one tasted like somebody was super dehydrated and pissed into a bottle full of hops they dug out of a hobo's butt.

I had to down it like a shot, then do the same to my girlfriend's glass. That was not fun. The next drink was a kickass wee heavy though, so things got better.

Funny to me how they couldn't get an ipa right. Which Is a flagship beer for most breweries. .. ill bet the wee heavy did taste great after that. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

KBC IPA i believe you can only buy at trader joes. ppl go crazy over this beer and i figured why not try it 6 bucks for a six pack. and i can see why its cheap. it tastes like spoiled beer thats been sitting out to long.

Should have told your server it was utter crap, you might have gotten a freebie. I did that at a brew pub I was in once. It was a brown ale, and it was clearly infected or something because it tasted like mud and soap. If it wasn't, well... :drunk: The server took a taste after I complained about it, made a "gross" face, apologized, and got us some new, different beers on the house. :tank:

Should have told your server it was utter crap, you might have gotten a freebie. I did that at a brew pub I was in once. It was a brown ale, and it was clearly infected or something because it tasted like mud and soap. If it wasn't, well... :drunk: The server took a taste after I complained about it, made a "gross" face, apologized, and got us some new, different beers on the house. :tank:

I agree. I would think that a brewery would want to know if their beer was not up to par, but then again shouldn't they be sampling what they serve?

Red hook IPA or Hazed and Infused. Blech. I actually like Torpedo.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

The Red Hook Long Hammer to be specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

I've never thrown/poured out a beer except this monstrosity of an "ipa"

pQTPxtk.jpg

First post! Been lurking a bit and finally decided to post!

Does the can say what makes it a "farmhouse" ale?

That's one of Butternuts in Cooperstown, I think. Their brewery is literally in an old farm, barn and all.

All their cans say that, but they don't actually have any farmhouse character.

An IPA has to survive the voyage through the doldrums, cross, the line around the horn, cross the line again, up to the armpit of the subcontinent, and then somehow join the regiment and after all that still be good.

Cause it's the gen beer discussion thread? Snark much? Please enlighten us with your brewing success stories, I'll bite

Well fork me silly, I never saw this reply!

Well Smiz, no snark implied or intended at that time. What exactly would you like to know about my brewing capabilities? Do you have any yourself or are you just another hip/yip/yup?

Well fork me silly, I never saw this reply!

Well Smiz, no snark implied or intended at that time. What exactly would you like to know about my brewing capabilities? Do you have any yourself or are you just another hip/yip/yup?

Wow, that was awhile ago my friend.

Why, pray tell, do so many posters praise the product of assorted breweries on a home brew site instead of their own accomplishments? Failure? Keep trying. It really isn't that difficult.

Granted there is no need to brag but Sierra or Dog fer cry sake? They aren't very good at all.

It seemed you were calling out homebrewers for not being able to make decent beer, and the fact that some gave props to commercial breweries for doing so is proof of their incompetence? It was a dickish comment and I felt the need to call you out and explain yourself.

DFH, I'll give you a pass, and while there's no accounting for taste...Sierra Nevada not very good at all? That's just intentionally being a hyper-snob.

Torpedo and 60 Minute are literally the standards for American IPA. I hope mine is half the beer either of them are.

Magic Hat's "IPL" is a joke, to use this thread for it's intended purpose.

I wouldn't expect an IPA that is over a year old to be any good...

Oh it wasn't. It was in my brother's in-law's refrigerator from last year. I saw the date and had to see what it ended up tasting like.

Double take ipa. "It's a head snapper" a gross one.

My mom bought this for me from Grocery Outlet last week. With a BA score of 63, I wasn't expecting much but it really wasn't bad. It had minimal aroma and no citrus or pine. The only hop flavor I could nail down was onion. But it didn't have lingering bitterness and went well with chicken tacos.

Riley's IPA from Madera CA. The worst I ever had.

Riley's started out good but all their beers have had a chemical cleaner taste to them for the last year or more. Tioga Sequoia offered to review their process for them but they deny they have a problem.

For me it is more of a general thing. Some breweries that are missing the IPA train are using older varieties that are floral and earthy. You can't make IPAs with these hops...they taste like sh****.

I wouldn't expect an IPA that is over a year old to be any good...

This exactly; same to the poster earlier that had a year old Stone IPA and said how horrible it was.

No ****? A year old heavily hopped beer didn't age well? I am not sure what else one would expect.

Shipyard IPA. I understand that its an english ipa, but it had the body and aroma of a macro lager(should be maltier than american ipas). It's all fuggles. Nothing even remotely salvageable about it.

I like Shipyard Monkey Fist, but I didn't enjoy the Shipyard XXXX IPA at all really. BUT, Rogue's Brutal IPA might be the worst one I've had. (Even though I spent $19 on a bottle of it in a restaurant.. twice...).

Green Flash West Coast IPA was one of my fav's but I can't get it locally anymore.

Torpedo and 60 Minute are literally the standards for American IPA. I hope mine is half the beer either of them are.

Magic Hat's "IPL" is a joke, to use this thread for it's intended purpose.

I'd hardly call Torpedo & 60 minute the standards. If they were, the standards would be pretty low. Hop Devil is a much better "East Coast" style of IPA then 60 minutes and any of the IPAs from Alpine, Russian River or Alesmith are better examples than Torpedo. Not that Torpedo is bad, just not a standard bearer.

The best are the fresh ones from the likes of Hill Farmsted, Boneyard, Barley Browns, Firestone Walker and Half Acre. It's not an easy style to make phenomenally well. I know every brewer thinks they can make one, but once you have one that is transcendent, it'll make you rethink what you're brewing! As for bad, I'd agree on the Butternuts one. Also, Summit's original IPA was pretty terrible, IMO.

Devil's Backbone's Cattywompus, used to be called Congo. They label it as a Belgian inspired IPA. Absolutely horrible. Like drinking a marginal IPA strained through dirty gym socks.

My Bro in Law brought me an IPA from NorCal after visiting there recently. Dragon Slayer or something like that... Total drain pour, but it might have ben an old bottle.

Back