Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erroneous said:
Magic hat #9 not quite pale ale has a little apricot

This. Not the biggest fan of it, but it's nowhere near the worst beer ever. Though I can imagine that not being aware that it has apricot (and thus expecting something like a typical APA) would make it seem much worse.

This. Not the biggest fan of it, but it's nowhere near the worst beer ever. Though I can imagine that not being aware that it has apricot (and thus expecting something like a typical APA) would make it seem much worse.

+1 I think Magic Hat #9 is a little overrated (I know a lot of people who rave about it), but I wouldn't put it in "Worst. Beer. Ever." territory. I guess I can see how other people could like it, and I give Magic Hat props for experimenting, I just think the apricot gives it a funky aftertaste.

Wiedemann's beer is probably the second worst beer ever. The worst beer ever is Steel Reserve. I dumped that **** down the drain.

Camo X Black...It's about 2$ a can and 12 percent alcohol...Absolutely nasty. I think a glass of jug wine wine is ambrosia compared to the Camo.

Abita Christmas Ale...bleh. Bah humbug to that!

Really? I have a couple left in a 6-pack, and while its not great, I certainly wouldn't say its bad. If anything, its just kinda non-descript. Nothing stands out enough for it to merit a "worst beer" designation. At least not for me. Sorry it was bad for you!

I think I've given up on Christmas/holiday beers in general. All I've tried just seem like over spiced, under hopped, high gravity disasters! I'm sure, if I tried the right one, that my mind could be changed, but it hasn't happened yet.

The worst I've had is Rinkuškiai Before-After Triple Bock. I tried it about a month after really getting into craft brews. Even after trying and enjoying many brews I would not have liked prior to becoming a homebrewer, this was awful. Tasted like somebody took Easter vomit and filtered it through wildflowers and orange peels. Hoping once I get up the courage to try a triple bock again, I choose one worth drinking.

Really not even michelobe ultra or any of the ultras those are better?Cobra and clamatta are better?

To chime in again, I agree.. Heineken is terrible! I will admit though that stuff like natural light (or ice) or the god awful steel reserve is worse, far far worse than bud light, mich ultra, or even heineken. I mean, to vote for magic hat #9 is crazy - that's pretty good beer, I'd take that over heineken any day of the week! Same goes for the Sam Adams line, even the Cherry Wheat (which is pretty bad) - it's worlds better than something like steel reserve.

What we need is categories, like a homebrew competition. How about,
1. Worst light beer
2. Worst malt liquor/cheap beer
3. Worst import
4. Worst craft beer

I vote for Bud Select 55, Steel Reserve, Estrella Damm with Heineken as a close second, and.. hmm.. this last one is hard... I'd have to say Anchor Liberty Ale. It's been a while since I had it but I remember finding it so bitter as to taste medicinal and it lacked body and malt character (it was thin and insipid).

Yeah, try Anchor Liberty again.. you'd be lucky if that was the worst craft brew you've ever had. You've clearly tried SA cherry wheat, and you think that's better than Anchor Liberty?

I think worst beers have been polled somewhere,if there is a list we should do a poll.Obviously there are beers that people dont like but there are the beers that would be unanimusly categorized as worst by most.
I happen to think bud 55 is the best ultra light, I tried one in a can at thanksgiving and was a little bit shocked. Ive always liked that one more of the ultras though too.Michlobe ultra on the other was unfinishable for me.

Stopped at a British brewpub, tried the Hefe... BAND-AIDS BAND-AIDS BAND-AIDS

Actually everything that was their own brew was BAND-AIDS!

I think Heineken suffers from a lot of ppl tasting it skunked. it's not amazing by any measure, but when it's fresh it's definitely not one of the worst ever.

times-are-tough-but-walgreens-has-responded-with-its-new-big-flats-1901-brand-of-50-cent-lager.jpg

Courtesy of Walgreens (3$ a sixer - I did not buy this!)... their own labeled generic beer and it is absolutely friggin awful! You could almost feel the headache in the beer as you drink it.

Also - Hudy Delight is a beer local to Cincinnati and it sucks ass.

Steel reserve. A favorite of the droves of alcholics in this state. Going to work the other morning saw a guy buying a 4 pack at 7:30 AM, rough stuff. Had a buddy who swore by the stuff. Terrible terrible stuff. I shiver thinking about it.

Worst ever? Shiner had a mesquite smoked beer a couple of years ago. It tasted like I drank the water/dripping tray from my smoker!

cool%20colt.jpg

Bought this and a can of Kodiak for my brother and his friend years ago. Yeah, I was mean to my little brother.

I'm going to have to say the malt beer known as "King Cobra"

image-3957502072.jpg

Oh god! The first drink... Instant headache and by the end the after taste, tasted what I assumed to be used gas station toilet water would taste like... But like a dumby tried it again 3 months later... Still taste bad and got a instant headache. The third time! Finally started to get a taste for it but drank about 6-7 Milwaukee Beast (Best) before I had the King Cobra... Still! Ugh tho at the end and one heck of a hangover the next day!

Years ago I went to a $5 all you can drink frat party. As I walked in they gave me a Coors banquet and said "drink that to kill your taste buds then drink the Brown Derby".

To chime in again, I agree.. Heineken is terrible! I will admit though that stuff like natural light (or ice) or the god awful steel reserve is worse, far far worse than bud light, mich ultra, or even heineken. I mean, to vote for magic hat #9 is crazy - that's pretty good beer, I'd take that over heineken any day of the week! Same goes for the Sam Adams line, even the Cherry Wheat (which is pretty bad) - it's worlds better than something like steel reserve.

What we need is categories, like a homebrew competition. How about,
1. Worst light beer
2. Worst malt liquor/cheap beer
3. Worst import
4. Worst craft beer

I vote for Bud Select 55, Steel Reserve, Estrella Damm with Heineken as a close second, and.. hmm.. this last one is hard... I'd have to say Anchor Liberty Ale. It's been a while since I had it but I remember finding it so bitter as to taste medicinal and it lacked body and malt character (it was thin and insipid).

Oh man, I had forgotten about Estrella Damm until I read this post. I think I had tried to purge all memory of it from my mind. Every Spanish beer I've had has been horrific...you guys who think Heineken is the worst import ever don't know how good you've got it. :drunk:

I had some Honduran beers this fall on vacation, 4 different brands, all made by the same brewery, all equally bad.

+1 on shiner smokehaus. I honestly think that is the only beer I haven't been able to finish. Friends wouldn't drink it, dog wouldn't even lap it up off the ground

Latest posts

Back