Worried about a Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbearit

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Two weeks ago I made my second batch of beer from a kit. Today I went to take a gravity reading and opened the fermenter to a bubbly mess. At first I was thinking it was an infection for sure but after some searching around I am not too sure. Does this look like an infection?

Thanks! :ban:

Beer Pic.jpg

No that just appears to be leftover yeast "yeast rafts" possibly in a larger than normal amount due to the chance that you may have used a "true" top cropping yeast. What yeast did you pitch ?

Also take a gravity reading before you proceed to Secondary/Bottling/Kegging to make sure she's done fermenting, or at least at an acceptable FG

As others have said, it's not an infection. Just left over yest. I've actually had one beer look exactly like that, what yeast did you use?

No that just appears to be leftover yeast "yeast rafts" possibly in a larger than normal amount due to the chance that you may have used a "true" top cropping yeast. What yeast did you pitch ?

Thanks for the replies!

I used White Labs WLP320 yeast fermented at ~66. Yeah my first batch didn't do this at all so when I opened the lid I was not expecting it and about fell over. Good to hear its not infected though!

Is there a special way of handling this, or should I just treat it as normal and wait for the gravity to stabilize then keg?

Two weeks in, I'd be surprised if your gravity isn't already stable. I would try to cold crash, just to see if you can get that yeast to drop. Or just rack rom under it, trying to keep as much out of the keg. It will still settle out easily in the keg, but I'm just one who likes to keep as much gunk out of my kegs as possible.

Back