World Class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leightonp

Reaction score
I am new to homebrew, I have four batches under my belt. I recently tried two "world class" rated IPAs according to Beer Advocate. Jai Alai IPA and Titan IPA. They were delicious, but I think my homebrew is better. Am I delirious or do I have a case of I did it my self so it is better to me by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a single wish it would be having those two beers on tap forever. I still think my homebrew is better according to my tastes.

Your beer may very well be better because being commercially produced and sold retail their beers go through some things yours wouldn't. They have pressure to turn their beers around quickly so they can free up the fermenter for another beer. They may filter the yeast out (some do, some don't), they have to package the beer and store it until it can get into the distribution and then it may be trucked for a distance and then into a warehouse for some time, then trucked again. Once at the destination, they may have to wait again for the tap that they are to go onto runs out. Each of those steps takes a little time during which the hop aroma is fading. You can bottle or keg your and enjoy it as soon as it is carbonated so your hops are really fresh and the aroma hasn't had time to fade.:mug:

Oh no, it's the "greatest beer in the world" guy again. ;)

There are a few factors here:

1) Like RM-MN said, your beer is definitely fresher than the commercial ones (unless you happen to get it brand new on tap at the brewery). For IPAs, freshness makes all the difference.

2) The ability to brew your own beer means being able to dial in exactly what you personally like, color, aroma and flavor-wise. The other beers may have been in the ballpark of your personal taste, but your HB could have just nailed exactly what you were looking for.

3) The personal connection of "I made this!" can go a long way in a person's appreciation of a beer. Anyone can buy a piece of furniture, but building it from scratch offers a whole other level of satisfaction.

4) BA and RB frequently get caught up in the hype of beers with a small regional distribution area or limited seasonal releases. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. :)

I'll throw the cold water...

After four batches, your beer isn't better. If it is (0.00001% chance), you're either the luckiest guy in the world or the second coming of Jesus. Play the lottery, or commit suicide* and wait three days, and you'll know which ;)

(*In jest, of course!)

Keep in mind that beer styles are pretty wide. If you don't like the particular strain of hops used in those beers you might not like them as much as your own. Beer freshness is also a big factor here, particularly for IPAs; hop flavor fades over time. Basically, don't quit your day job, but hey if you enjoy it drink it!

It's not the best beer in the world unless BeerAdvocate or RateBeer says so! Everybody knows that!!

I don't give a lot of credence to the BA reviews. they must get some crappy samples. but then again, i think my brews taste as good or better than most micros to style. but i am on batch #112 so that may have something to do with it.

I think this is what makes this hobby so fun. It is really not that far from starting up to being able to produce a delicious beer. I recommend you enjoy your success and keep brewing. Keep comparing your beers to commercial and practice tasting critically and taking good tasting notes.

But yes the idea that you are Pliny the Resurrected is delusional. That is ok just don't bet your life savings on the outcome of a homebrew competition with 75 entries in the DIPA category or come back here complaining about how the judges could be so wrong.

Titan IPA is pretty meh...nothing special. Jai Alai is amazing fresh but falls off fast.

With that said, how was yours better? What are you judging the beers on? Most likely, you have ugly-baby syndrome. Maybe an okay beer, but since you made it you amplify the good things and "forget" about the negative qualities. Enter it into a competition. Expert and unbiased tongues is what will give you the real answer.

You may have gotten lucky. My first recipe I designed and brewed was probably the best beer I've made and I would consider it "world class." It's taken me 4 years to even get a batch close to that again. Granted, I did like 30-50 "research" brews testing malts, hops, yeast, etc. Still, I would say I just got really lucky with a good base recipe to get that first result. At least now, as I get closer again, I understand why and how the beer is so good.

I like many of my beers better than some mediocre commercial beers, but I'm not in the 'better than world class' category.

Maybe someday, if I keep at it, I guess.

Latest posts

Back