Working on a LAMBIC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
alright so i am about 20 days from went i must brew this to give it a year to ferment before my birthday and i would like some feed back or help on getting my plan ready.

trying for a lambic doesn't need to have fruit but it seems just about everyone out there does. i plan on doing a turbid mash (i think i that is correct). my main issue is the hops i have seen some bake them and leave them out for about a week not sure if that will work well

5lb unmalted wheat
6lb 2row
1oz hops low aa

wyeast lamic blend
Austin Homebrew Supply

I just saw some nasty old hops at a health food store that sells bulk herbs/spices/teas and I've heard of others finding them as well...maybe try there?

I highly recommend the book Wild Brews for information about lambic and other sour Belgian styles.

I've never brewed such a thing myself (hoping to someday!) but at least according to that book, one year is going to be pushing it for a true lambic. They're typically more like three to get the interesting complex sourness, although most of the sold product ends up as a blend between old (3 year) and younger (1 year) beer.

It seems like the Flanders styles (sour red and brown) can be ready sooner (more like 1 year) as they rely more on lactobacillus than brett for the sour notes.

Back