Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're one of those guys that refuse to allow "Stephen" or "Frederick" to be shortened to "Steve" or "Fred", aren't you?

Nope.
I can't help it, everytime I read "I brewed a hefe"
My brain translates it to "I brewed a yeast"

Nope.
I can't help it, everytime I read "I brewed a hefe"
My brain translates it to "I brewed a yeast"

I get the same. It makes me a little crazy. I'm all good, though, until I see something like "I wanna brew a heff!" Then I grind my teeth.

You're one of those guys that refuse to allow "Stephen" or "Frederick" to be shortened to "Steve" or "Fred", aren't you?

There's nothing wrong with shortening something. It just makes sense to do it in the right way. The "hefe" part of "hefeweizen" just tells you what kind of weizen it is. Sure, if it's understood that the topic of conversation is only weizens, I'll grant you shortening it to "hefe" can make sense. But it has to be in that specific kind of circumstance.

It's not unlike being too lazy to type out "oatmeal stout" and just saying "I want to brew an oatmeal." What? Brew an oatmeal? What the hell does that even mean? Now, if I ask you, "what kind of stout are you going to brew," and you answer "I'm brewing an oatmeal," now it makes sense. Context. Don't just throw the "hefe" around any old place. Otherwise, it just sounds like you're talking about yeast.

And for the love of god, whatever you do, please don't start any forum threads asking "What kind of yeast should I use in my hefe?"

I get the same. It makes me a little crazy. I'm all good, though, until I see something like "I wanna brew a heff!" Then I grind my teeth.

There's nothing wrong with shortening something. It just makes sense to do it in the right way. The "hefe" part of "hefeweizen" just tells you what kind of weizen it is. Sure, if it's understood that the topic of conversation is only weizens, I'll grant you shortening it to "hefe" can make sense. But it has to be in that specific kind of circumstance.

It's not unlike being too lazy to type out "oatmeal stout" and just saying "I want to brew an oatmeal." What? Brew an oatmeal? What the hell does that even mean? Now, if I ask you, "what kind of stout are you going to brew," and you answer "I'm brewing an oatmeal," now it makes sense. Context. Don't just throw the "hefe" around any old place. Otherwise, it just sounds like you're talking about yeast.

And for the love of god, whatever you do, please don't start any forum threads asking "What kind of yeast should I use in my hefe?"

Not really. When someone says they're brewing a Hefe, the only logical ending to that word is weizen. That's not anywhere near the same as saying you're brewing an oatmeal because that's not associated with only one type of beer so there's more than one way to complete that style. It could be stout, porter, pale ale, etc. If someone says their drinking a hefe do you wonder if its a hefestout, hefeporter, hefepale ale, hefesaison? Of course not.

Not really. When someone says they're brewing a Hefe, the only logical ending to that word is weizen.

That's a fair point, and I'll grant it to you. I certainly can't think of any other compound brewing terms starting with "hefe." However, I will throw out a few extra thoughts:

-If we look to the way we use the English terms for these same beers, the terms used seems more logical. When brewed in the US, we speak of American Wheat beers, not American Yeast beers. Germans generally do the same, and recognize categories of weizenbier or weissbier. Why not follow suit?

-Speaking of "hefe yeasts," in particular, is in no way defensible. They're weizen or Bavarian wheat beer yeasts. Nothing about using any one of these will give you, or is suitable for, a hefeweizen and more than it is a kristallweizen, dunkelweizen, weizenbock, or any other type of weizenbier.

-Assuming other people's recipes are "hefes." Do you know whether they're going to filter or not? Is it still a "hefe" if it's served via keg without significant yeast in suspension as you would get in bottle form? I admit I don't know, but I'd guess not. Unless you know how someone else is going to finish and package their beer, call it what it is - a weizenbier.

That's a fair point, and I'll grant it to you. I certainly can't think of any other compound brewing terms starting with "hefe." However, I will throw out a few extra thoughts:

-If we look to the way we use the English terms for these same beers, the terms used seems more logical. When brewed in the US, we speak of American Wheat beers, not American Yeast beers. Germans generally do the same, and recognize categories of weizenbier or weissbier. Why not follow suit?

-Speaking of "hefe yeasts," in particular, is in no way defensible. They're weizen or Bavarian wheat beer yeasts. Nothing about using any one of these will give you, or is suitable for, a hefeweizen and more than it is a kristallweizen, dunkelweizen, weizenbock, or any other type of weizenbier.

-Assuming other people's recipes are "hefes." Do you know whether they're going to filter or not? Is it still a "hefe" if it's served via keg without significant yeast in suspension as you would get in bottle form? I admit I don't know, but I'd guess not. Unless you know how someone else is going to finish and package their beer, call it what it is - a weizenbier.

All good points that I agree with.
I think, at least among American home brewers, the term Hefe has become a catch all classification for a German wheat beer regardless of the process. Although inaccurate, I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does other people. When I see someone say they're brewing a hefe, I don't automatically think, "they're brewing a yeast?" I just read it as they're brewing a wheat beer and fermenting with Hefeweizen yeast.

When I see someone say they're brewing a hefe, I don't automatically think, "they're brewing a yeast?" I just read it as they're brewing a wheat beer and fermenting with Hefeweizen yeast.

And that's probably what people should think, given the current usage of the word. I'm just old and grouchy.

Back on topic..Words and phrases I hate. Any post containing the words sent from my "Droid, iphone Home Brew mobile app" seriously? two commercials in one sentence. One for your phone and one for the App.

Back on topic..Words and phrases I hate. Any post containing the words sent from my "Droid, iphone Home Brew mobile app" seriously? two commercials in one sentence. One for your phone and one for the App.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sent from my Android iPhone using Home Brew mobile app for BlackBerry devices that are suffering from an identity crisis.

Aren't those the worst.

Sent from the middle of nowhere using morse code on a flashlight

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sent from my Android iPhone using Home Brew mobile app for BlackBerry devices that are suffering from an identity crisis.

I agree!

Sent from Bikini Bottom using Smoke Signals.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Sent from my Giant Laser Guided Chainsaw using the I'm Gonna Set Your Face On Fire App by Rabid Wolverines High On Angel Dust V3.8.

You're still on V3.8? What are you, a neanderthal? Time to upgrade, buddy. I'm on V113.8 - damn!

Successful derail.

The word segue. Especially after the word was sorta adopted by that 2 wheeled dork-vayence.

Shamefully sent from my Segway using Home Brew mobile app

Sounds like you guys need some real Mexican food.

Sent from the headquarters of tacos al pastor...

Digital hands?
A lady on Jeopardy said DNA showed that she was 3% Neanderthal. So I dragged her in to my cave and ripped her throat out.
*Written in blood on a stone wall
(Or is that over the top?)

I want a tape recorder that repeats riiiiight or I know riiiiight? Over and over to each and every person that says it. Like even at work,once I hear it I want to play it annoyingly over and over over and loudly on the intercom- that stupid voice till they finally get it. Bear with me Im just venting here.

I want a tape recorder that repeats riiiiight or I know riiiiight? Over and over to each and every person that says it. Like even at work,once I hear it I want to play it annoyingly over and over over and loudly on the intercom- that stupid voice till they finally get it. Bear with me Im just venting here.

Your smart phone will do that. And you should because those people deserve it.

I really hate it when people that speak with ain'ts and cain'ts and thars, tell immigrants they should go home if they can't speak English. My husband has full blooded native grandmothers on both sides so he likes to ask if they speak Miami Indian or Seminole.

I really hate it when people that speak with ain'ts and cain'ts and thars, tell immigrants they should go home if they can't speak English. My husband has full blooded native grandmothers on both sides so he likes to ask if they speak Miami Indian or Seminole.

I used to work with a guy that liked to talk smack on a co-worker from Eastern Europe. His exact words:
"Yeah he's a hard worker but he don't speak English too good."

Ain't is a word. Its the contraction of the words am and not.

Marris Otter.

No. There are only two Rs in MO. One in the first word, one in the second. Stop adding more. We should have figured this out a long time ago. Damn, wasn't it William of Ockham who said "never multiply consonants beyond necessity"? Learn it.

I once heard Lil Mama on Americas Best Dance Crew use the word supersedes in a sentence in place of the word exceeds. Lol drove me nuts. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Back