Woops, forgot sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
Had to add 1 lb of cane sugar to my Saison. not sure WTF is up with my hydrometer, but it read 1.060, but i got 1.052 from my refractometer, thought i did everything right, so i was like hmmm....
It really doesnt matter when i add it during fermentation does it? should i add it RIGHT NOW! or is it ok, if i add it tomorrow when i get back from work (which will be 2 days from the time i finished brewing?

It will probably still be actively fermenting tomorrow
Or today if you wish...

Did you calibrate your hydrometer and refractometer in clean water?
And measuring the gravety at correct temp is important for the hydrometer

Adding it later might not be too bad an idea. The yeasties will be tuckered out from munching on all that maltose and simple sugar added later will be an easy snack to finish up with.

FYI late addition of sugar is how many belgian beers are made. there is definitely still enough active yeast in there to munch up the easy snack that is straight sugar.

yeah, i wasnt too worried about adding it later, so i guess timing is no big deal...
they eat up the priming sugar right?
was happy to see that my Refractometer wasnt off. my gravity was spot on given that i forgot the sugar.

Latest posts

Back