Wooden Barrel // Jockey Box - Wooden Spigot Durability?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drubes14

Reaction score
Hi all. So I had a kind of crazy idea to turn an old barrel or nail keg into a portable jockey box.

Basically, you'd fill the inside of an old 5-10 gallon barrel with waterproof insulating spray foam, add an SS coil on the inside, add a beer shank and tap, and a beer line in from your corny keg.

Here's my quandary. To keep with the look of the barrel, I would like to do a traditional wooden spigot instead of a modern SS faucet head. Something like this: https://morewinemaking.com/products/wood-barrel-spigot-8-cm-3-long.html

Does anyone have an idea of how I might adapt this to work with a shank, or even just a beer line? The spigot itself works for gravity, and I imagine if I feed a line into the spigot it would serve ok, but I'm not sure if the spigot could withstand the PSI.

Exactly why I'm asking ;) Want my beer to stay cold but still be able to be dispensed in period vessels!

Back