Wood fire for boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be an interesting experiment. I've always wondered what flavor characteristics a homebrew would develop if it was boiled in an old fashioned copper kettle over a wood fire. Back in the day, Stroh's Brewery in Detroit used copper kettles for their boils. After Stroh's got bought out, the corporate mega breweries changed the recipe because they didn't want to bother with copper kettles. A lot of people stopped drinking Stroh's because they said it just didn't taste the same as it used to.

Funny I was talking to someone about Strohs the other day. Anyways from my experience cooking over a campfire you better have a good amount of time on your hands to have an open fire heat 5+ gallons of wort. Maybe if you did it over a customized barrel or pit designed for cooking. Additionally I wouldn't think you'd get much character from the fire. The rising steam vapor from your kettle is going to negate any of the smoke or ash falling into the kettle in any quantity significant enough to be tasted.

Just my .02

Dunno, campfire boiled water has a distinctive smoky taste, strong enough to taste over coffee.

Sounds pretty cool, id like to try the beer it produced but in no way do i have the time or energy for that lol

If I had a safe place to actually light a wood fire for that long, I would get myself a big ass cauldron and brew all of my beer there, old world witch-style. Just so that I can say that I do. I'd probably even label bottles after that just to do something cool with that concept.

And yes, I am Wiccan.

If I had a safe place to actually light a wood fire for that long, I would get myself a big ass cauldron and brew all of my beer there, old world witch-style. Just so that I can say that I do. I'd probably even label bottles after that just to do something cool with that concept.

And yes, I am Wiccan.

Thats what I am talking about, old world maybe Viking style, put on a loin cloth and drag out the women to stir the wort. Pound a few down while stoking the fire. Wood is plentiful here as is space to do it. Sounds like an adventure , just need to find a big arse cast iron cauldron and teepee to hang it from , LOL.

And yes, I am Wiccan.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyvRyxpvDi8[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't resist:p

Ive always wondered this too. I think it would be interesting to do. Id never do it with my kettles, but none the less, interesting.

Found some interesting reading on early nordic/viking brewing rituals and techniques.
Drinking from polished horns etc...

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/drink.shtml

What do you suppose would work better copper or cast iron cauldron ?
Copper would certainly be lighter. Would have to be hanging type with the ability to raise and lower it by a chain fall or other pulley type device. By raising and lowering it you could better control the boil and prevent boilovers.

I think that iron risks off flavors. And it's usually treated with oil that might impair the head. Copper is traditional, as far as I know. But a big copper kettle may be very expensive.

Back