WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever that flavor is, it's been fading. Still a little earthiness there. I was thinking I had forgotten to acidify my sparge water and that was causing astringence, but that doesn't go away. In any event, it's a great beer. I got some Spiegelau IPA glasses in the mail today, and I'm really looking forward to see how they shape this beer.

I also had no problems with under-attenuation (as I had feared earlier). If anything, I think I should have used a touch more crystal.

I found the fun flavors and mouth feel of brett trois fades over the course of a month or so. Unfortunate

These are my results with WLP644. I plan on using the new Vrai to see if it is different. I found the Sacc version needs a substaitial hop presence to keep the beer fresh for a while. I even did a WLP644 beer with Brett Claus. and after a couple months in the bottle all that remained was aroma from Claus. It isn't a bad beer just isn't anything special to me. I wanted to see what they yeast was so the beer wasn't overly hopped that time.

I found the fun flavors and mouth feel of brett trois fades over the course of a month or so. Unfortunate
what's extra unfortunate is that it has taken my batch 3 weeks to flocc to the point where the yeast aren't contributing direct flavor (AKA yeast bite). so now i have only a week left before the fading starts??

i'm slightly underwhelmed with this yeast. it's a damn fine IPA now that the yeast has dropped but i can't say that it's noticeably better than other IPAs i've made with Chico. i'll be happy to use it again but i'm not certain i would go through the trouble or growing it up.

what's extra unfortunate is that it has taken my batch 3 weeks to flocc to the point where the yeast aren't contributing direct flavor (AKA yeast bite). so now i have only a week left before the fading starts??

i'm slightly underwhelmed with this yeast. it's a damn fine IPA now that the yeast has dropped but i can't say that it's noticeably better than other IPAs i've made with Chico. i'll be happy to use it again but i'm not certain i would go through the trouble or growing it up.

I prefer it to my Chico IPA's, but the lack of flocculation makes it a pain in the ass without being able to cold crash... My most recent batch is a few months old but still very funky. The yeast gives a sweet and fruity flavor but also an intense dryness at the same time even though I finished around 1.014 I think. I didn't really grow it up much either, 1l hand shaken starter for something like 2 days then pitched in the cooled wort and fermented around 78f ambient. Hit final gravity within 72 hours but refused to drop clear. I just went with it and wound up with extra yeast in the bottles which doesn't really bother me.

To be fair I like my IPAs funky. Opinions are like ******** and such... I love the fruitiness and sweetness the yeast leaves but the dryness that follows up just makes me want more. Plus it seems to me the hop character hasn't faded as fast as it does with Chico strains. I think it is better now than it was when it first was carbed but that's just one dude from the interwebs opinion. It definitely clears with some fridge time
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430369792.808639.jpg

Been reading through this amazing thread for a few weeks now. I got my hands on a vial of WLP644 here in South Korea and made a .5L starter a week ago, stepped up to 1L after three days.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430693071.112657.jpg
A friend and I brewed a 5gal batch of IPA each for an upcoming IPA competition in Busan, S. Korea and took second runnings from each batch for a partigyle IPA (added 3# DME to boost ABV)View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430693221.169180.jpg
Heres what it looks like about 5 hours after pitching the WLP644! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430693301.568006.jpg I'm actually more excited about the partigyle than either of the original brews! Cheers!

I used this in conjunction with Cali IV in a hopped-up saison-style brew, all-grain, which I dipped into during high krausen in order to krausen a previous saison brew for bottle carb (primary on that: WL Belgian blend). After a week of krausen carbing, a pellicle formed in bottle--which had me sweating, as the bottled batch was my first homebrew. I tasted a bottle, though, and it was spot on...minus enough CO2, of course.

Interestingly, while a pellicle is floating in bottle (doesn't look fluffy enough to warrant ID of krausen in bottle neck) no pellicle has formed in primary carboy. The primary showed krausen, and put off strong tropical fruit notes before the Cali IV sulfur kicked up. Weird, magical, mutant strain. I like it.

I used this in conjunction with Cali IV in a hopped-up saison-style brew, all-grain, which I dipped into during high krausen in order to krausen a previous saison brew for bottle carb (primary on that: WL Belgian blend). After a week of krausen carbing, a pellicle formed in bottle--which had me sweating, as the bottled batch was my first homebrew. I tasted a bottle, though, and it was spot on...minus enough CO2, of course.

Interestingly, while a pellicle is floating in bottle (doesn't look fluffy enough to warrant ID of krausen in bottle neck) no pellicle has formed in primary carboy. The primary showed krausen, and put off strong tropical fruit notes before the Cali IV sulfur kicked up. Weird, magical, mutant strain. I like it.

No need to worry. I have had this throw a pellicle in bottles but have yet to get one in the fermenter.

So WLP644 is now confirmed to be Sacc and not Brett. How can it create a pellicle then?

So WLP644 is now confirmed to be Sacc and not Brett. How can it create a pellicle then?

Sacc is, theoretically able to produce a pellicle, but the strains we use in brewing have had this characteristic selected out, if I understand the research.

It is a wild Sacc strain. As stated above Sacc strains do have the ability to form a pellicle but the ones that are primarily used in brewing do not normally form pellicles.

My collab brew with local nano 'Ruig' is now on a few taps locally and in bottle shops in 750ml bottles (bert's bierhuis utrecht, bierkoning amsterdam). It's a 100% trois IIPA called Ruige Haring, and a monster of a beer. Very simple malt bill; 90% pale 10% wheat. No sugar as the yeast is super-attenuative. All C-hops, lots of them. The aroma is all c-hop, the usual citrus and pine. Flavor, you get hit immediately with the trois halfway-between-artificial-pineapple-and-bubblegum fruitiness, and then a huge smash of sweet malty alcoholy body hits your chest. Odd for a beer that finished 1.008. Just when you thought it was going towards barley wine, the sweetness is suddenly gone and you are left with a pleasantly bitter and dry finish. We call it "A double IPA, but not like the ones your grandfather drank".
It was a fun experiment, we didn't do any pilot batches in advance, and i had never used this yeast in a beer this big before. But it did take its sweet time in clearing as Ruig can't cold crash their conicals, and it was a giant PIA to grow up enough yeast for the pitch!

Ruige Haring.png

rrhh.jpg

My collab brew with local nano 'Ruig' is now on a few taps locally and in bottle shops in 750ml bottles (bert's bierhuis utrecht, bierkoning amsterdam). It's a 100% trois IIPA called Ruige Haring, and a monster of a beer. Very simple malt bill; 90% pale 10% wheat. No sugar as the yeast is super-attenuative. All C-hops, lots of them. The aroma is all c-hop, the usual citrus and pine. Flavor, you get hit immediately with the trois halfway-between-artificial-pineapple-and-bubblegum fruitiness, and then a huge smash of sweet malty alcoholy body hits your chest. Odd for a beer that finished 1.008. Just when you thought it was going towards barley wine, the sweetness is suddenly gone and you are left with a pleasantly bitter and dry finish. We call it "A double IPA, but not like the ones your grandfather drank".
It was a fun experiment, we didn't do any pilot batches in advance, and i had never used this yeast in a beer this big before. But it did take its sweet time in clearing as Ruig can't cold crash their conicals, and it was a giant PIA to grow up enough yeast for the pitch!

Dinnerstick, what temp did you ferment it at? What was your attenuation/OG/FG?

I can't believe that I read this entire thread.

It sounds like I'm going to make an IPA with an ale starter, no aeration, 75 degrees and let it ferment for 6 weeks. I want that tropical flavor and I'll see if I can get it

I can't believe that I read this entire thread.

It sounds like I'm going to make an IPA with an ale starter, no aeration, 75 degrees and let it ferment for 6 weeks. I want that tropical flavor and I'll see if I can get it

I have posted some negative comments about this yeast on this thread, but I will say that I just drank a 6 month old bottle of New Zealand pale ale with 100% 644 and it was actually delicious. It was very strange bc it tasted almost exactly like the other half of that batch I made with US-05 when it was fresh... With a touch of earthiness to it in the back. Very strange , but very tasty.
That being said, I did not enjoy the 100% 644 half of that batch when it was fresh. It takes forever to floccate and you can taste the yeastiness...

I have posted some negative comments about this yeast on this thread, but I will say that I just drank a 6 month old bottle of New Zealand pale ale with 100% 644 and it was actually delicious. It was very strange bc it tasted almost exactly like the other half of that batch I made with US-05 when it was fresh... With a touch of earthiness to it in the back. Very strange , but very tasty.
That being said, I did not enjoy the 100% 644 half of that batch when it was fresh. It takes forever to floccate and you can taste the yeastiness...

that's odd, because some posters were saying it was some of the clearest beer they've ever made. did you cold crash under pressure?

The yeast does take forever to flocculate at room/fermentation temps but cold crashing will fix the problem if you give it a little time.

It's well documented by now, but I may as well present my experiences.

I'm making a two step starter. Less than 12 hours into the 1L, fermentation is vigorous and the krausen is large. No smells whatsoever other than typical yeast. I'm shaking every now and then, because I couldn't find my stir bar after I moved back :/

Went 1L to 2L starter. Let it drop out in the fridge for a few days, decanted most of the beer, swirled and pitched into non-aerated wort. There was a krausen less than 3 hours after brewing. These guys are beasts

Im making a starter with this now, and after two days seeing no real visible signs of activity. Do the starters take unusually long times to get kicking or am I looking at a bum deal?

Im making a starter with this now, and after two days seeing no real visible signs of activity. Do the starters take unusually long times to get kicking or am I looking at a bum deal?

It can take a couple days. How big is your starter? I like to start smaller with something like a 1.020 wort then step it up.

I've never had a starter take longer than 24 hours to start up, but surface activity is never a sure sign of fermentation. Depending on the vigor of your fermentation and the shape of your vessel in relation to the wort, you may not see anything. How much wort did you make and what OG?

Brett usually takes longer to get going. ALso, the cell count white labs puts in their wild cultures is tiny. Did you make a typical sized starter? if so, probably should started small

Regarding these findings do you think I would need to use my Brett dedicated equipment for this strain? Or will it not leach into the plastic equipment since it is Sacch?

I don't want to tell you something and ruin your equipment, but I did not care about using it with my regular sacch equipment. what are you making btw?

Just bottled up a saison that was fermented in the same bucket as an IPA I fermented with this strain. No off flavors so far in the saison, I think if you treat like Sacc you will be fine. One of the things I love about the strain. Behaves like Sacc (because it is) but has a decent "brett" character.

Regarding these findings do you think I would need to use my Brett dedicated equipment for this strain? Or will it not leach into the plastic equipment since it is Sacch?

It is NOT Brett. Even White Labs calls it a sacc yeast now. It will not contaminate a beer and slowly work like Brett. No need to use separate equipment.

Thanks guys.... I was thinking of splitting a batch with one sacch brux trois and a true Brett for comparison... and don't want to make the jump to having even more strictly Brett buckets....

judging from some experiences in this thread if you're looking for brett characteristics, you may want to look elsewhere. I think that everyone who made a saison ended up being disappointed

cant it somehow make a pellicle though? I just would consider it as brett since it behaves like one adn tastes like one. Kind of like how i stubbornly refuse to call a tomato a fruit

I think most people that did a brett saison did 100% brett. All brett beers just come out as super fruity, zero funk

Latest posts

Back