wlp570 won't flocculate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewburke

Reaction score
Hey all. Looking for a little advice on wlp570 belgian golden strong ale. I made an extract version of belgian golden strong ale. 8.5lbs extra light pilsner liquid malt extract. 3lbs cane sugar 3oz. Czech saaz 60min. Anyways the advice I'm looking for is why won't it flocculate? I know it's notorious for this but I fermented it in a conical. Dumped the yeast harvested it it's been sitting in a mason jar in my fridge for a month and that sample is still cloudy. I kegged it after a month in primary on top of one ounce of biofine at 38°F it's been about two weeks since then and when I pour a glass it's like a yeast smoothie. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Drop the temp on the sample more and see if it flocs. Generally at that temp I'd expect the yeast to go idle. My guess is you aren't seeing yeast. Maybe a chill haze?

I have seen definite 'zones' in my carboy when cold crashing. It isn't that hard to put yeast to sleep.

I thought that it might be a chill haze too. My experience with biofine though is that it's amazing. It clears everything. I made a starter so maybe there's just that much yeast at the bottom of my keg that I have to get through?

Back