WLP545 Weird Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uatuba

Reaction score
I have a Belgian strong that finished (?) fermentation. I checked gravity twice over three days, and it was stable and as predicted (12% alcohol on the nose). I began to cold condition at 51F (ten weeks). I'm into week three of the conditioning, and I need to use my ferm chamber to control the temp on a IIPA. I figure it won't hurt to move the probe over to the primary of my IIPA and control its temp at 64, figuring that ambient will be a bit lower than 64 (although I knew it wouldn't be as low as 51).

It now seems fermentation has started again!? There are a ton of bubbles on top of the Belgian secondary (not quite a krausen, but more than what I would think is "off gassing") and the airlock is bubbling pretty steadily. I can provide a pic if necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with this yeast? Is it going to completely dry out my beer? I fermented for 5 days at 79F so I figured that would have taken care of most of it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You could just be seeing CO2 coming out of solution since it was chilled to 51 and is now warming to 64.

You could just be seeing CO2 coming out of solution since it was chilled to 51 and is now warming to 64.

Would this cause a two-inch thick "head" of foam? I seriously don't know. I did use malto and it's the first time I've done so.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hmmm, typically I haven't seen THAT much foam. Perhaps take a gravity sample and see if it has dropped any? Strange to restart fermentation like that after it stabilized.

Back