WLP400 stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamensis

Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian Wit (SG 1.046) and pitched a Belgian Wit yeast (WLP400), using a starter on 4/30. I had it in a ferm chamber at 68 degrees for 7 days (5/7) and the gravity was at 1.020. I then boosted the temp to 72 and checked it on 5/12 and it is still at 1.020. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about pitching another yeast to finish it out.

This may seem stupid, but check that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly. See that it reads 1.000(or close to it) in room temp water. Also, how does it taste? Does it seem sweet? If it tastes good then it may be good enough to bottle. And is there still kraussen? If there is, just give it time.

It's not a stupid suggestion. But yeah, the hydrometer is good and there is no krausen. I've tasted it and it is alright. A little on the sweet side of course. I have considered just kegging it, but it would only be about 3.4% ABV which is a little low.

It's frustrating because this is only about 50% apparent attenuation. Dumb yeast, indeed.

In the future wait for WLP410 - it's a much better strain in both flavor and ability to ferment out. It's usually available in May-June I believe...

I'd pitch some Chico yeast to finish it up. Most of your wit flavor profile was probably created in the first day or two, so now you just need to get it fully attenuated & enjoy!

In the future wait for WLP410 - it's a much better strain in both flavor and ability to ferment out. It's usually available in May-June I believe...

I'd pitch some Chico yeast to finish it up. Most of your wit flavor profile was probably created in the first day or two, so now you just need to get it fully attenuated & enjoy!

I've heard others say the same thing about WLP410. Awfully annoying that WLP400 is such a finicky strain to work with. I went to my LHBS and picked up some Safale-05 to finish it out. We'll see how it goes. Could end up being a little over-attenuated, but that's OK.

I've found that with belgian strains of most types that pitching warm (80ish) and keeping them warm throughout fermentation (mid-70s ambient) is the key.

For example, brewed a wit with the same strain, stalled @ 1.018 and wouldn't move after daily rousing for 10 days. This was in march when the ground water allowed me to pitch mid-50s.

Brewed one up right before memorial day, same grain bill and mash temp, pitched at the higher temp, left for the long weekend, came back and the krausen dropped and it was @ 1.010. Later finished out @ 1.008 from 1.050ish.

Yeast character was much improved than the last time, more sour and peppery in a good way. In no way was it overly phenolic or estery.

Latest posts

Back