WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What temperature promotes the best banana bomb!

• Total voters

twisted-brew

Reaction score
Doing a partial mash - 7 lbs of 2 row and 3 lbs of Wheat DME. I love me some banana esters, not a fan of clove or bg. My go to is typically 3068 at 74*. What is the ideal fermentation temp for WLP300?
Meant to use ? in the poll question, not ! Can't edit it, oh well...

Thanks in advance

Temperature is just part of the picture.

Pitching rate makes a big difference.
Supposedly so do aeration and pH. Maybe pressure.

I would try 66F with an underpitch (0.25M/mL/°P) and no aeration.
Single infusion mash.

You voted in your own poll :)

Temperature is just part of the picture.

Pitching rate makes a big difference.
Supposedly so do aeration and pH. Maybe pressure.

I would try 66F with an underpitch (0.25M/mL/°P) and no aeration.
Single infusion mash.

You voted in your own poll :)

Always do aeration - great results. Sixty six seems a bit low for what I am aiming for. Have you had good results (banana esters) at that temp? Pitch rate is never an issue.
I voted! I've always had great results with warmer fermentation with 3068, never used WLP300. Is this a strain where colder is better for esters?

I am a big time fan of the banana/bubblegum style Weissbier's. I can't stand the bitter, clovy, overhopped, and watery American wheats. They can be tricky to master, and there is a ton of conflicting (and some erroneous) information on the subject. After many years of researching and adjusting my own banana goals, here's what I found works.

60 to 65 % Wheat (I generally buy Great Western white wheat. Large kernels, mill's nicely without adjusting, good flavor).
35 to 40% German pilsner malt (or Belgian).
If you really want some oats or whatever, go for it, but it's not necessary.
Toss in a half pound of rice hulls for safety
Don't use crap domestic 2-row
60 minute boil is fine, go longer if you wish. No shorter, that pilsner malt will reek of DMS during the boil
No aroma hops. Keep the bittering hops (45 to 60 minutes) to less than 16 IBU's or a bit less. Something of the Nobel persuasion (Saaz, Sterling, Spalt, etc). Stronger or more aroma will knock out the ability to sense the banana.
If able, adjust mash pH for 5.4 to 5.5
Mash in at 131, hold for 10 minutes (protein)
Raise it to 145, hold for 30 minutes (maltose)
Raise it to 160, hold for 30 minutes (sacc)
WLP300 is basically W-68 so you are already on the banana side of the yeast spectrum. No need to under pitch, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.
Give it a week or so at 73F to 76F
Keg it up. Good and fizzy. Drink it fresh.

Try it. I actually have had people ask if I use bananas in the recipe (yuck, that couldn't end well)

I've been reading lower temps give lower 'nana for this strain. Your experience has been 73-76f is good to go?
I typically do 100% pitch, sometimes over pitch by a very small percentage but usually balls on. I don't have 100% faith in in calculators based on package dates.
I'm doing a partial mash on this one.
Typically do 60 min boils or longer, depends on style, however never go below 60 min. Ninty nine percent of the time I do all grain.
With hefe and wheats my grain bills are ussually 60 white wheat/40 2 row, 150* steep for 75 min. This go around will be 8lbs of 2 row and and 3 lbs of wheat dme (5 gal). I am going to give 300 a try, why, because that is what the LHBS carries. I don't mind experimenting. Also going with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin (27 ibu) on this one. Did Styrian Celeja on the last batch, was really good. Nice subtle citrus. I am concerned about body. Shooting for a FG of 1.020 @ 6.5 ABV. Oh and mash pH is 5.87, nice hard FL water.
Any suggestions?

I love a high FG with WLP-300. Anywhere between 1.015 - 1.020 is ace. No idea about how to maximise the banana, as I'm a clove guy myself. But underpitching and fermenting warm, skip the ferulic acid rest would be my goto.

I love a high FG with WLP-300. Anywhere between 1.015 - 1.020 is ace. No idea about how to maximise the banana, as I'm a clove guy myself. But underpitching and fermenting warm, skip the ferulic acid rest would be my goto.
What temps do you typically ferment at for your clove phenols?

What temps do you typically ferment at for your clove phenols?
17c or 162f, plus a mash rest at 44c / 110f to promote clove. Underpitch big time so there's still some banana balance in there.

My latest batch, which I'm bottling tomorrow, I pitched one 12oz bottle of hefe in a small 6 hour vitality starter, no yeast. It took 48 hours to get started but went like a champ after that. I'm amazed how little yeast cells you need to ferment these things. FG sample tasted fine.

17c or 162f, plus a mash rest at 44c / 110f to promote clove. Underpitch big time so there's still some banana balance in there.

My latest batch, which I'm bottling tomorrow, I pitched one 12oz bottle of hefe in a small 6 hour vitality starter, no yeast. It took 48 hours to get started but went like a champ after that. I'm amazed how little yeast cells you need to ferment these things. FG sample tasted fine.
Thanks+

Latest posts

Back