WLP090 being a little B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
And no, not Belgian.

I do a starter with WLP090 in exactly the same way I do my 2278 prop-up. The 090 refuses to drop clear. The 2278 drops bright.
Perhaps it's the whirlpool hopping and the loose dry hops, but I hold the keg at 4C and the stuff JUST DOES NOT DROP. I prop to a good pitch rate (between .75 and 1), oxygenate, give it zinc at the right rate, and put CLEAR wort only into the fermentor but get super haze.

In teh same basic conditions, WLP007 drops nicely. Still some haze from the dry hopping but see-through.

I have this memory of 090 dropping clear easily and being nice and clean but now I basically have a NEIPA.

Happy to play thousand questions, or hear if anyone else has had the same problem and either given up or solved it!

Thanks in advance

One more time

IMG_0904.JPG

What's your water chemistry like, are you giving it enough calcium?

Perhaps it's the whirlpool hopping and the loose dry hops

There's an example here of WLP066 London Fog not dropping out in the presence of a lot of hops, so maybe the same thing is happening here.

put CLEAR wort only into the fermentor but get super haze.

In teh same basic conditions, WLP007 drops nicely.

English yeasts have been heavily selected for dropping clean, as cask beer doesn't sell otherwise. One other consideration is that a bit of trub can help yeast drop, there's an argument that you don't want clear wort going into the fermenter. Worth investigating at any rate.

EC29A91C-E989-4F38-8D64-A6D263CD1E63.jpeg
My one experience with 090 used a 3 oz whirlpool and 3.5 dry hop in a 4ish gallon batch. It took 2 weeks at serving temp before it dropped really clear. I’ve never been one to care about clear beer but dang was I proud of this one.

I re-reviewed my notes and believe I botched the zinc addition. I added it to my starter and that concentration would be really high in such a small volume.

Does the haziness change if beer is warmed to room temp?

Back