WLP080 cream ale yeast in stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyhub

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on here, or any forum in general since my car days lol.

Anyways, so I was messing around last weekend and trying to find a use for the starter I made for a beer that I never ended up brewing.

I decided to do a little experiment and I made a 1 gallon batch of oatmeal stout using wlp080.

Anyone have any thoughts or done something similar before?

Interesting choice. I think it will be fine as wlp080 is very good in my cream ale (per style) but I've read it can be a good choice for a steam/California common also. Dont see why it couldnt work with a stout also.

The worst you'll get is... Beer.

Although I don't have that same same strain, but I have used WLP029 "Kolsch" yeast in a brown ale that I have always brewed with WLP029/Wyeast 1968 "Fuller's yeast".

The beer is still cold conditioning and will be ready in about 1 more week, but they tasted significantly different during kegging time:

The WLP002 was a lot maltier and sweeter and nuttier.
The Wlp029 was a lot more dry and crisper tasting, and there was significantly less malt-forward taste.

The Stout will come out fine, but some of the sweet-estery malt may not be as pronounced as much.

The Stout will come out fine, but some of the sweet-estery malt may not be as pronounced as much.

nailed it i think. I just tried my first taste yesterday. It actually came out really well! it is fairly dry and has a nice sweet malt character, but it is definitely not very pronounced. The body of the stout isn't quite where i feel it should be (considering i added 30% toasted oats to the recipe) but i feel that is more a problem with my efficiency rather than the strain of yeast i used.

i feel like this recipe may make a better black IPA than a stout. Its got a delicious coffee and chocolate character, but in my opinion, not quite malty enough to be called a stout.

Ill post another update a week or so after i bottle it!

Just about any yeast will ferment a beer that does not exceed it's alcohol tolerance. And, almost any combination is worth experimenting with. You could get something you don't like or you could stumble upon a great "outside the box" beer.

I made a "Pumpkin" ale but used Spaghetti squash instead of pumpkin. Spaghetti squash has a peppery flavor so I used T-58 yeast that also gives a peppery flavor. It was great.

I haven't done so much with substituting yeasts for experimenting though. I usually stay close to style.

Back