Wlp060 fir caribou slobber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grssmnperez

Reaction score
Have a vial of wlp060 thats short dated. I was wondering if i could use it to ferment a caribou slobber kit i have instead of the danstar windsor. Thoughts an/or comments much appreciated.

Wlp060 is a great yeast. It ferments out very clean and lager like, with some light fruit esters. If it is either this or windsor, I'd use the wlp060 without question.

However, if using wlp060, be sure to make a large starter and keep the fermentation temperature at no more than 65-68F, 62F is about the sweet spot. Similarly, windsor gets nasty when fermented warm (>68F) and generally has horrible attenuation and flocculation. I'd use pretty much anything over windsor. Good luck.

bierhaus15 said:
Wlp060 is a great yeast. It ferments out very clean and lager like, with some light fruit esters. If it is either this or windsor, I'd use the wlp060 without question.

However, if using wlp060, be sure to make a large starter and keep the fermentation temperature at no more than 65-68F, 62F is about the sweet spot. Similarly, windsor gets nasty when fermented warm (>68F) and generally has horrible attenuation and flocculation. I'd use pretty much anything over windsor. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. How bug of a starter are we talking here 1L or more?

Back