WLP037 Yorkshire Square odd clumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorax429

Reaction score
I have a starter on a stir plate going of WLP037 and it is clumping together in the most odd way. Odd to me anyway as I have never seen yeast clump together like this before. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Not unusual to clump for a highly floccing yeast, but I will say that does looks peculiar... Looks like really large blood cells.

Hadn't seen one that looks quite like that in the flask, but 1968ESB/WLP002 looks very much like cottage cheese.

Hadn't seen one that looks quite like that in the flask, but 1968ESB/WLP002 looks very much like cottage cheese.

I have two 2L flasks of 1968 going right now for a Zombie Dust Clone tomorrow. Used harvested yeast from a wheat a few weeks ago. Got the chunky, egg drop soup for the the first few hours, but now looks pretty uniform, identical to 1056. The first starter I made always stayed clumpy. Hope the yeast still performs.

I stepped up the starter tonight bringing it to two liters. The yeast very quickly broke apart and went back into solution to attack the new sugars. It will be interesting to see if it clumps back up the same way again.

I noticed this the other week when I made a wlp002 starter for a choco milk stout. I had never used 002 before and I kinda worried me when I saw it get all stringy and clumpy cottage cheesy looking. But it fermented beautifully so mission success I guess.

But to stay on topic, that is some funky looking yeast. I'll definitely be interested to see how it ferments and if anyone else has had this "issue"

Not unusual to clump for a highly floccing yeast, but I will say that does looks peculiar... Looks like really large blood cells.

+1 - I thought red blood cells as well.

Yeasty pebbles when you want breakfast cereal instead of WLP002's egg-drop soup.

Ive seen this strain look similar to this when it starts to floc out in the fermenter. Gross. Yeast cake looked like a pile of gloppy white lima beans on top. Not really a fan of this strain, 1469 is similar, better behaved, and doesnt have that weird hazelnut liquor ester this strain always gave me.

Well, I am not going to find out how this would work in the Irish Red I was going to use it for. Apparently I had the foil on too loosely over the flask because a black fly apparently crawled up under it and fell into the starter. Now I have to go pick up an new yeast and have just two days to get a starter going and ready for brew day. I think I'll just go with a regular Irish ale strain this time instead. Oh and I am buying a foam stopper while I'm there. I am so pissed off at that dead (drunk) fly.

Back