WLP029 - 60% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexjc

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Honey Blonde Ale that has seemingly stopped attenuating around 60%. According to WL, WLP029 is 78% attenuating under ideal circumstances. Can someone point out where I may have gone wrong?

Steeping Grains:

• 1lb Carapils
  • 1lb Honey Malt

Extracts:

• 2lb Golden Light DME
  • 3.3lb Wheat LME

Hops:

• .25oz Centennial @ 45m
  • .25oz Centennial @ 20m
  • .25oz Cascade @ 10m
  • .25oz Cascade @ 5m

Additional Items:

• Whirfloc @ 10m

Yeast = WLP029
Starter = 1 liter
OG = 1.046
FG = 1.018

This is a recipe that was derived from Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde and modified a bit by the help of my LHBS owner. I used a swamp cooler to maintain temps and in an effort to keep it around 60-62, the initial couple days of fermentation was around 64-65. It then fell back down to 60-62 (we've had some freak cold days here in the Northeast) for about 5 days. It has since sat at ~65 and I've had two consecutive gravity readings of 1.018. One on day 8 and another on day 10 (today). *note: I gave the bucket a light swirl after reading the gravity on day 8.

Now I know that those temperatures are a little low for the strain, but I'd read that this yeast is great even in the high 50's. Perhaps it's the high amount of wheat extract? To aerate I transferred to my bottling bucket and topped up with 2 - 2.5 gallons of water. I then ran it through the spout and a strainer.

The gravity samples taste pretty good. Really nice notes of the honey and wheat malts. It isn't sweet...so perhaps that's just what it is. A 3.6%abv honey blonde ale. I brewed this batch for a family graduation party anyway, so that isn't a big deal.

What do you think -- did I mess up or does this all seem about right?

I'd guess that because of the large amount of carapils and honey malt plus the fact that you don't have any control over how fermentable the extract is its probably right. I've heard that extract can be difficult to get past 1.020 for a lot of folks because of how its made.

I'd guess that because of the large amount of carapils and honey malt plus the fact that you don't have any control over how fermentable the extract is its probably right. I've heard that extract can be difficult to get past 1.020 for a lot of folks because of how its made.

Okay, thanks. I've had pretty good luck thus far with extracts, though I did get stuck around 1.020 once before on a stout using maltodextrin. I'm happy with the taste of the beer anyway -- wlp029 is definitely a good choice for blondes.

My burner and chiller are in the mail...I just need to increase my mash tun and kettle size and I'll be on to all grain.

Okay, thanks. I've had pretty good luck thus far with extracts, though I did get stuck around 1.020 once before on a stout using maltodextrin. I'm happy with the taste of the beer anyway -- wlp029 is definitely a good choice for blondes.

My burner and chiller are in the mail...I just need to increase my mash tun and kettle size and I'll be on to all grain.

I was going to suggest that you try partial mashing next time and cutting the carapils down. Steep 1lb of 2row, half pound carapils and however much honey malt you like for 30 min. I think that would help a little.

But when you go all grain you'll have full control. I did a honey blonde ale with golden promise and 12 oz honey malt. I used rogue pacman yeast but if I do it again I'd like to try kolsch yeast.

I was going to suggest that you try partial mashing next time and cutting the carapils down. Steep 1lb of 2row, half pound carapils and however much honey malt you like for 30 min. I think that would help a little.

But when you go all grain you'll have full control. I did a honey blonde ale with golden promise and 12 oz honey malt. I used rogue pacman yeast but if I do it again I'd like to try kolsch yeast.

I've done one partial mash thus far for a hefeweizen and it went really well. I nailed the OG and FG...plus the process was more fun. I'm planning to do a few batches that way before I invest in the bigger kettle and mash tun. I have a 5 gallon MLT, but I'm going to move the parts onto a 10 gallon.

Back