Wlp007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Brewing the Midwest ferocious IPA tomorrow. Using WLP 007 (best before May 27th). I have always made a starter. Don't have the time. Can I just pitch the one vial or should I go get another one.
Do I risk a stall or a sweet beer with only one vial ?
Any thoughts
Slainte

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It depends on several factors, including the original gravity, the amount you oxygenate and the temperature your ferment at. For an IPA, going at 1.060, I'd get another vial. Even with 2 vials you'll be a little shy of the recommended pitching rate (209 billion cells for 5 gallons), but you should be fine with that.

Thanks for the info. I have a Williams oxygen wand so it'll get entry of oxygen. I also have a temp controlled chest freezer, plan to start out at 66 for a few days and then 70 for the rest of the ferment.
Looks like I'll have to drive the hour each way :) oh yea it's OG is supposed to be 1.068
Slainte

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Or you could do a lazy starter.
Pull 500-800 ml from the boil Before any hop additions.
Dilute with equal amount of water to reach around 1.030
Cool to pitching temp
Add yeast
Pitch at full krausen, or let it go then chill decant and pitch.
All the while your wort is sitting nice and cool at fermentation temperature, no big deal.

I've used it a few times, for when I forget a starter or have an impromptu brew, and it works great.

Back