WLP001 Strange Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csj

Reaction score
I've had three of four batches of beer made with WLP001 (Cal Ale) end-up with a weird, bitter taste. I also had it on one batch of Kolsch. The beer smelled plastic-like, and the bitter taste did not seem to grow (or lessen) with age.
I thought it might be batches that I used bleach as a sterilizer, but after I switched to iodophor I still had the problem.
Is there something about WLP001 I missed, or am I right that I just pulled infected batches as the same time as the WLP001?
Just figured I'd ask before trying another batch of Pliny Clone.
Thanks!
C.

We need details to help us give you a direction. Recipe, Ferment Temp, Did you make a starter, gravity, etc....

I've had symptoms exactly like this in a couple of my beers. The first beer I ever did was a pale ale with WLP001 and it had (has) a plastic-y aroma and very astringent aspirin like bitterness. Both these occured because I pulled it off the yeast too soon (I only left it there 1 week after a 2 day lag time).

I did another pale ale with US-05 and in the early part of its bottle conditioning phase, it had those same things: slight plasticy notes and aspirin bitterness. They subsided however, with more time in the bottle.

I recently did an IPA with Wyeast 1056 and after I harvested the yeast, I smelled and tasted the slurry and it had those same off notes, but magnified, so I figured out that it was the yeast that was contributing those things to the previous beer. The IPA tastes great now (12 days in primary, 9 in secondary with dry hops), and I'm really pleased with the performance of the 1056. My advice is to wait at least 2 weeks for the beer to ferment in primary and wait the proper amount of time to bottle condition to avoid these flavors.

I looked back on my notes -- sorry about the delay in adding data -- and found that the stats were in line for the Pliny Elder clone I was trying to make.
I don't think it was the ferment temps, as the last two batches were temp controlled at 64 in a freezer with a temp controller.
Both batches were allowed to sit on the yeast to clean-up before bottling.
The timeframe suggests that by soaking the bottles in an OxyClean-like cleanser while the local water was very chlorinated, there may have been salts on the bottles that caused part of the taste.
I have since switched to PBW.
In the end, it may have been several factors coming together.
Thanks,
Carl

Your pulling off the yeast to early. You can either ferment warmer and transfer to secondary or leave in primary longer. Try 3 day increments.

Back