WLP001 krausen just won't fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the water (first time using RO), but I've still got 2 inches of krausen after 7 days that isn't going anywhere.

Looks like a nice healthy krausen.

I'm guessing it has to be the fact that the yeast just really like my RO water.

Or is this typical for WLP001?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

4.5 gallons. Fermentation started at 60 and I've warmed it to 63.

ive had a huge krausen that wouldnt drop in the past. I dont recall it being with 001 though. Either way I wouldnt worry about it to much. I just racked under the krausen at transfer time.

You can cold crash and see if the krausen falls or try shaking the fermentor here and there. You could also sanitize a spoon and stir it if it's in a bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

4.5 gallons. Fermentation started at 60 and I've warmed it to 63.

That's why- that's fairly cold for WLP001. It really likes 68 degrees, and will finish fairly quickly at 68, but with a really low temperature like that it will be pretty slow going.

I'll let it warm slowly then. It was very vigorous at 60* btw. Started in 7hrs. Developed a 4-5 inch krausen.

Straight RO water? That could be an issue itself.
I've also had long lasting krausens when fermenting cold. Just takes longer to drop. Patience grasshopper.

I love fermenting 1056 (same as 001) at 62°. Nice peachy tones. I also have high krausen for a good # of days. As long as 10 days once... delicious beer.

I.only use RO water. Wonderful stuff!

It'll be delicious

Back