Wlp 041

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a few months old, but I figured I'd reply. I'm currently brewing a Red Hook ESB clone from AHS using this yeast. It took about three days for fermentation to start, but I have a huge krausen on top of my beer now. Airlock doesn't seem to bubble at all, but that doesn't really mean anything. The yeast smells kind of fruity, almost banana-y to me, with a kind of malty/syrupy backbone. I will let know you know how the beer turns out!

I've used this yeast for my past 3 brews, collecting yeast cakes and re-pitching. Unfortunately these beers are just starting to come of age so I can't tell you too much on flavor profile yet.

First was a light Braggot, finished 7.0% ABV, much drier than I expected with 83% attenuation. 43% of the bill was honey, the rest was light DME, and a small amount of malted wheat. Sterling bittering and Strisselspalt aroma hops. I went with this yeast to get a sweeter braggot and it didn't really do what I wanted, but samples have tasted good so far and we'll see where it is with a few more months of conditioning.

I had collected from the primary and re pitched into an IPA steeped with Honey Malt, Centennial bittering, and Simcoe hops flavor and dry hopped. Trub bottle tasted great. Very clear beer and hops came out very fruity. They come through much more than any malt does. This one finished right on the dot with 70% attenuation.

Collected again and pitched into what I'm in the middle of brewing...a Crystal 40L Amber that is going to "dry hopped" with lavender in a week. Initial tastes are very clean.

The one thing that I've had in common with all three batches is that it took a LONG time to reach my FG. Braggot took a month, IPA took 2.5 weeks and this Amber is a week old with an inch of Krausen still on it. I get similar activity to Belgian yeasts where it will just sit on top and stay there for days, with no action going on in the wort itself. I've had to gently shake it every few days to get it back into solution. Krausen stays around about a week and a half. I've fermented all of these at 65 degrees to avoid any banana flavors. I really think this is more of an American style yeast that finishes cleaner with hops shining through than the English profile White Labs talks about on their website.

My favorite yeast, just be aware that it ferments slowly compared to other yeasts. I start it at around 64-65 and ramp up the temps 1F after the first 5 days until I reach 75. It leaves a malty profile with a light ester that really compliments the maltiness.

And it flocs like a ton of bricks, I'd put it on par with 002/007.

Back