Wlp 001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed 10 gallons of Holiday Ale on 7/22. When I left town on 7/23, each 5Gal carboy was fermenting vigorously, and had a thick krausen at the top. I would, however, estimate the ambient temperature in that room to be 75-80 at any given moment. (I live in STL, and it's too hot to keep my place much cooler.)

To restrict light from hitting the carboys I cover them with a towel.

When I returned from Chicago Saturday (7/30) I noticed no visible fermentation. Could it be that I overheated?

I tested gravity last night and it seemed 4-5 points high even accounting for the heat. (Not to mention it was my first all grain batch and probably not a highly efficient extraction.)

I plan to move to secondary in the next day or so, will that restart the yeast?

Thanks.

wait a couple days and test the gravity again. yeast wont start dying off till over 120 if i remember correctly. racking off the yeast will only cause more of a stall if thats what you experiencing, maybe try rousing the yeast a lil bit

Its probably almost completely fermented out, but just bc the krausen has fallen doesnt mean it wont clean up a few extra points of attenuation over the next week to 10 days. Just let it sit for a full 2 weeks and take another reading.

I would wait and see, but in the future:

Try to put your carboy in a closet or area where light does not penetrate. Covering with a towel is no guarantee that some light will not force through.

Try using a water bath filled with large ice chunks, wrap the carboy with a wet towel, and blow a fan on the towel. Either that or only brew in the Winter months... or get a temp. regulated chest cooler... or only brew beers like Saisons in the Summer. WLP001 is not supposed to ferment that high.

In 7 days at that temperature the active part of fermentation is almost certainly past.

What is the present gravity? At 4-5 points high it might be done or you might have a stalled fermentation.

As already stated the gravity may still be falling. Racking off the yeast cake too early will be removing it from a large portion of the yeast.

Leave it for a few more days at least then take more gravity readings.

I plan to move to secondary in the next day or so, will that restart the yeast?

No. Moving to secondary will never induce further fermentation.

In fact, you're more likely to stymie whatever fermentation might have taken place over the next few days. Just leave it be for another week or so.

So, definitely not moving to secondary today. To be clear, Krausen had fallen after 6 days. Thanks for the help, all. I normally use a water bath to keep the ferm temp low but didn't have the space to set it up.

Would it make any difference to do so at this point?

Never move to secondary until your beer is 100% fermented and has had some additional time to clean up after itself. Temperature control is always good. If you can set it up now, do that.

So, definitely not moving to secondary today. To be clear, Krausen had fallen after 6 days. Thanks for the help, all. I normally use a water bath to keep the ferm temp low but didn't have the space to set it up.

Would it make any difference to do so at this point?

I don't think so. It certainly won't hurt, but most of my beers leave temperature control after about a week or once the krausen has fallen, and I don't see any ill effects. In other words, most off flavors are created during fermentation, not conditioning.

I've been brewing wlp001 (1056 and us-05 as well) at 76-78 lately and the favors have been good. I know it's high, and I know I am pulling some estery favors, but most people have been enjoying the profile. I dot know if it's because everyone is used to typical Cali ale yeasts right now and they are just enjoying the difference or what. Don't sweat it too much, you'll probably get some fruitiness from it, just let it sit for an extra week or so.
I do a lot of stuff that people say I shouldn't though. When I get stalls with these strains I shake it up. Often seems to give it a little restart, just know that you'll have to wait for it to drop clear again.

I've been brewing wlp001 (1056 and us-05 as well) at 76-78 lately and the favors have been good. I know it's high, and I know I am pulling some estery favors, but most people have been enjoying the profile. I dot know if it's because everyone is used to typical Cali ale yeasts right now and they are just enjoying the difference or what. Don't sweat it too much, you'll probably get some fruitiness from it, just let it sit for an extra week or so.
I do a lot of stuff that people say I shouldn't though. When I get stalls with these strains I shake it up. Often seems to give it a little restart, just know that you'll have to wait for it to drop clear again.

I've had a batch ferment at that temperature and it was absolutely awful. That seems to be the experience most people have. YMMV.

Yeah, I think 70 (wort temp) is pretty much the upper limit for Cali to do what it's supposed to which is be a neutral ale yeast. Above that temp will make a drinkable beer, but not a great beer. I've gotten best results with Cali around 67 for American browns and IPAs and around 61 or so for clean American Pale Ales.

Also, temperature control is really critical in the first week or 2... After that, not much impact... Well so long as you're not putting it in a 100 degree garage.

Good luck, hey, if it tastes good at the end of the day, drink it.

This thread got me thinking and I did some measuring. Seems my 76-78 (air temp I keep the house at) measures around 73 where I ferment. The ac thermostat is on the sunny side of our condo 5' high on the wall. I ferment against a shared wall, on the shady side, on a tile floor. Perhaps that's why I'm not really getting bad flavor, just different. I just put 5.5gal pale ale to ferment in my normal spot and 5.5 in a water bath with a fan on it holding 65 degrees. I love being able to play around with my beers. Man I love brewing.

Back