WLP 001 - High initial temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Ackerman

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing (have made 14 5gal batches since April). I am making a Milk Stout (5 gal batch), made a starter with WLP-001 manufactured 10/14/18 with stir plate, pitched the yeast late yesterday afternoon at 65°, my basement is about 57°, and I woke up this morning to a fermentation temp of 81°, I immediately put a fan on it (SS brewtech brew bucket). I will have to wait til I get back from work to see the progress. 2 questions; 1) will I even end up with anything resembling beer? 2) I have seen fermentation temps rise 3-4° in the 1st 12 hours but never 15° WTF?. Thanks :)

That does seem like an excessive jump. Most I've ever seen on an ale is like 8 degrees (which was still way more than I expected).
WHere are you fermenting it? Any chance the ambient temp went up overnight? I know when I free-ferment in my heated basement in the winter without using a cooler or anything, the basement can get quite warm with the house heating on.

Fermenting in the basement, all heating ducts are closed and the temp in the basement this morning was 59°. I have a heater jacket (thin plastic sheet type with flat heating elements) on the fermenter but it is attached to an Inkbird and I have the controller set at 65°. The heat side relay was off. And of course when I attached a box fan to the cool side it immediately turned the fan on. And 'yes', I thought of the possibility that the controller had gone 'haywire' and I was getting a bad temp reading, but feeling the side of the fermenter it was warm.

normally I need the heater jacket initially.

No you don't.

I find most brews turn out great fermented in the upper 50s to lower 60s. My basement is cold just like yours. I've got 5 batches chugging along slowly down there right now. If they seem too sluggish, I'll bring upstairs to 68 F for a few days until it's rolling again.

Anyway, it's always best to start off fermentation cool then warm it up, rather than pitch hot then cool it down.

Latest posts

Back