wlp 001 instantly flocculated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I just pitched my yeast starter of 001 into my wort and it instantly flocculated, some are floating on top, and some is suspended, but it's all clumped together.
I'm used to seeing it disperse, not clump together.
The only difference in this batch is that I pitched it while the wort was about 62* instead of almost 70, and then it heated to 67*.

any idea why this happened? and is it bad for any reason?

Thanks

How warm was your starter? If it was in the 70's when you pitched it, you may have thermally shocked the yeast. Give it a good stir and it should be okay as the wort warms up.

I don't know the exact starter temp, probably about 68 to 70*, is that a symptom of thermal shock?
It's already bubbling, so it had a lag time of only 6 hours, and I know I didn't kill them.

In most cases you want to have your starter at the same temperature as your wort, or fairly close. Thermal shock will just cause the yeast to be dormant until it warms back up. 6 hour lag time is not that bad. I believe that your beer should be fine.

I'm just wondering also if you shook up your yeast, basically causing it to mix up well, granted if it wasn't already all suspended?

The yeast will find the sugars. There is nothing wrong. RDWHAHB.

Back