WL400 Slow start at 68F????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redkegGV

Reaction score
I did a starter, and the starter was not very active, barely detectable. Did produce some effervescence when I shook it, but looked generally flat. Subtle bready odor as per the usual. Pitched 17 hours ago into a Belgian Wit OG 1.041 and no signs of activity. Well-aerated when pitched, and gave it a little shake before bed and again this morning. Have not taken a gravity reading yet, seems too early, but that would probably give me my answer to questions below....

I'm on a bit of a deadline and wondering if it is too soon to apply some insurance and pitch a fresh vial, or wait it out and keep to my original temperature ramp-up plan??

Anyone else have a slow-start with this one? I don't remember that being an issue with previous batches of same, but that was years ago now.

WOW.
After major technological complications I am finally able to get back on here and update.

@dmtaylor ......

Literally two hours after this post I got home and the thing was going crazy. Patience is not my strong suit.

This may require a different post, but I'll put it here anyway- - -

Everything was going so great. Good fermentation progress, activity, nothing weird after my first sample, tasted amazing, went to take a sample last week and there is the slightest skunk flavor and odor. It's such a light delicate beer, I'm sure I am noticing it more than I would in another batch. I suspect it is the light bulb I use as a heat source in my fermentation fridge- could it be causing lightstruck issues with the little bit of hops (1oz Fuggles) in the recipe? I can't figure out what else would make it skunky. I used fresh orange peel, coriander and cardamom at flameout, so no additions after fermentation started. Its not infection, I am certain of that.

What are you using for fermentation? Carboy, bucket, something else? Did you have your fermenter covered with a towel or sheet to keep the direct light off of it? I've used WLP400 a few times. I've never noticed a skunked flavor or aroma. I also ferment in a dark closet. The light is the only thing I can think would cause that.

@BrewingAroundtheRrealm

I'm using a glass carboy, uncovered, in a fridge, with a standard bulb as heat source on the bottom shelf, under the carboy. Never dawned on me that could be a problem until I brewed this super light beer. You use a towel? I'm thinking black garbage bag.

I have a fermonster which is completely clear. I wrap that with a bath towel to keep any direct light out. A black garbage bag should also work. Anything that will prevent direct light from getting to the fermenter will help.

So how do you like that Fermonster? As a direct result of this particular batch, I am seriously considering investing in stainless buckets. I've got my eye on the budget-friendly Anvil brew buckets (I can a afford a couple) or waiting for Christmas and going all-out with an SS conical.

Latest posts

Back