WL Irish Ale yeast - better hi or low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
My basement is about 55° F. Without any added heat my porter is steaming along at about 62-64°. White Labs says the optimum temperature for this yeast is 65-68°. I can add a brew belt, but that will add 8-10°, which would be 70-74° right now. Am I better off leaving it alone until fermentation slows enough to lower the temp to 60° or less before I turn the brew belt on, or is a bit warmer more desirable than a bit cool?

TIA

:mug:

I would leave it at the cool end. You don't want to be fermenting it in the 70s. FWIW I just brewed an irish red this weekend that is currently fermenting at 66F. I would be weary of going any higher than 68 for an Irish ale. It may take longer to ferment at 62-64, but the flavor profile would be better than letting it get to 70-74 IMO.

Put some (non flamable) spacers between the fermenter and brew belt and dial the temperature in that way... More spacers would equal less of a temperature increase... Less spacers and more contact with the heat belt will raise the temperature more...

Just a thought...

p.s. most people start on the cooler side of the temp range and bump temperature up as the fermentations ends--- with irish ale yeast-- there is some noticeable diacetyl (butter like flavor) produced and bump up in temp at the end of fermentation may help the yeast remove some of the that flavor. A high temp from the beginning will produce more of that flavor if i remember right with diacetyl... Diacetyl isn't all bad in a irish stout-- balances out hop bitterness and roasted barley harshness... Guinness has detectable diacetyl if you taste for it... too much can be horrible horrible though..

Back