Witbier with Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fells_Pint

Reaction score
First time brewing with rye so i thought i'd hit up the experts at HomeBrewTalk for a critique of this recipe:

Witbier with Rye
5 gallon all grain brew
OG: 1.051 SG
FG: 1.015 SG
IBUs: 13.9
Color: 3.7 SRM

3.5lbs - white wheat malt (2.4 SRM)
3.5 lbs - Bel 2-row pilsner malt (2.0 SRM)
12 oz - Flaked oats (1.4 SRM)
1 lb - Flaked Rye (2.0 SRM)
12 oz - Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
.25 lb - rice hulls

.30 oz - Mosaic hops (13.9 IBU) - First Wort Hopped, 60 mins

.75 oz - Curacao bitter orange peel - 5 mins remaining
.75 oz - Coriander seed - 5 mins remaining

Wyeast #3944 - Belgian Witbier yeast

I'm hoping to brew something refreshing, tasty, with a hint of spice. A good porch drink on a hot Sunday afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Not counting rice hulls, 18% rye seems like a lot for a lighter beer. You'd better like rye considering no crystal malt sweetness to balance its spice :)

I would probably limit the rye addition to 12-16oz Rye Malt and bump up the white wheat or pils accordingly. I think 1 lb Rye and your planned Coriander addition will provide plenty of zing.

Thanks for the insight! I was worried about the amount of Rye as everything I saw online was a suggestion for how much to use in other, maltier/heavier styles.

I disagree with the good friar. I've done similar beers pushing 25% rye. In my mind, you say it's Rye, then make it rye. The oats will lend to balance the rye spice. Plus you are higher on the flaked rye which, imo, doesn't lend as much spicyness to a recipe. I say go with it.

I'm comfortable with the amount of Rye, but I think you should have a portion of your Wheat Malt be flaked wheat.

Back