wit ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Is it just me or are they all flavored with orange zest and coriander? I looked at several recipes they all had it. I am making a wit soon and was thinking I might like to try something different. I have 2 1gal jugs so I can siphon off a gallon into each and try with those and then have 3 gal of regular in case the others suck. Any suggestions on other spices, fruits, etc to try? Things I've seen are lemon zest, dried plum, vanilla, etc. anything youve tried that turned out well?

A wit beer can be spiced with many things.. coriander and oarnge peel; sweet or bitter is the common practice. All a wit beer is; is a beer made with mostly wheat that is all. Hefe is a wheat beer that is made with no spices only good yeast that gives it fruity and spicy flavors in place of adding the spices. I like the oarnge but some good recipes also use chamomile..I have not tryed this yet but have heard it makes for a very refreshing and tasty adition to a wit beer.

Take a look at jamils reipes on wit..I also have seen chamamile in american wheat beers and this would work as well. The beer is a cloudy look so the name is white from the look..but has very little restrictions on what can be addded that I know of..some one might be able to clarify better.

I would give chamomile a try in one and maybe lemon zest in another? what ever u like..its your beer

Jay

Has anyone ever tries using lemongrass to flavor a wit or any beer for that matter? I was thinking maybe lemongrass and then something with a spicy or peppery flavor.

Has anyone ever tries using lemongrass to flavor a wit or any beer for that matter? I was thinking maybe lemongrass and then something with a spicy or peppery flavor.

Lemon grass is a wonderful idea. I'm trying to remember a commercially-brewed wheat beer that contains lemon grass, but I can't seem to find it in the organic RAM. I definitely remember having seen at least one, but...alcohol kills brain cells. :D

Bob

I use chamomile and juniper berries in my wit in addition to the standard coriander and orange peel.

Lemon grass is a wonderful idea. I'm trying to remember a commercially-brewed wheat beer that contains lemon grass, but I can't seem to find it in the organic RAM. I definitely remember having seen at least one, but...alcohol kills brain cells. :D

Bob

Magic Hat Circus Boy has lemongrass in it.

Back