Wiring outlet and pot control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshuah57

Reaction score
I am just finishing an upgrade of the wiring going to my brewery area. I ran a 50 amp spa panel directly off the main panel and the I have a sub panel in the brewery area. I currently have 2 30 amp breakers in the sub panel. One is wired to an outlet for my digiboil and the other goes to a box with a rheostat to control a 5500 watt element in my HLT.

The question I have is this: I am running a 10/2 wire to both the outlet and pot control. Do I connect the ground cable to the ground or neutral bus in the sub panel? Does it make much difference? I do have them connected to the ground bus at this time, and it seems the digiboil powers on just fine. I also have an outlet for the cord the the HLT in the box with the pot control. Is it best to only turn the breaker on when the kettle is plugged in it? Btw, I have the pot control wired just like the StillDragon control. I am using this to control the HLT temporarily till I purchase a more full featured control box.

With some more research, I believed I wired it correctly. There are times I find electrical a little confusing at first, but I always get that "Aha!!" moment :)

I'm still a little unsure of constant power going to the pot control. I am thinking it would put the SSVR under a constant load, even if it is a trickle. I thought about a switch on the box, but the subpanel is only 4 feet away.

Back