Winterizing Neomexicanus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffaoe

Reaction score
I have been growing American/European hops for a few years now but this year is my first for neomexicanus. I have neo1, multihead, and willowcreek in 17 gallon tubs. Here in the northeast, winters are typically cold and wet. My regular hops do just fine in the winter. However, should I put my neomexicanus varieties in the garage for the winter where they will just be cold and dry, or will they survive the winter outside in wet conditions going as low as 10F?

FWIW, I have 4th year Neo's in the ground in Indianapolis and they have thrived after two mild and two harsh winters with nothing but a few shovel-fulls of manure and leaves in the fall. If yours are in containers in the northeast, I would recommend wintering them in a cold garage and giving them a splash of water once a month or so. Just so the crowns don't dry out.

I harvested 4lb wet from my plant this year. Enough for a big 10 gal wet hop melony/apricot pale ale and 20oz of dried cones. Interesting hop, to say the least

Latest posts

Back