Winter Spiced Witbier ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing later this week and thought a witbier mixed up with some wintry spices might be nice. I have some Ardennes 3522 yeast on hand, and I'll probably use that.

The closest thing I've found to this sort of recipe is clones of Sam Adams' White Christmas. I don't recall having ever had it myself. It seems like a witbier with orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg, but with clean ale yeast. I'm wondering if the Belgian character of my yeast will clash with the spices.

Here's a typical (double sized) recipe:

10 lb Wheat
8 lb Pilsner Malt
3 lb 2-Row
2 lb flaked Oats
1 lb Caramel Crystal 10

2 tsp cinnamon @ 10 min
2 tsp nutmeg @ 10 min
3/4 oz Sweet Orange Peel @ 5 min

More here.

Austin Homebrew has a kit without the light crystal addition.

Any thoughts on this, especially on Belgian yeast and spicing amounts? I have whole spices, and may go that route.

I recommend making a hot tea with each individual spice and adding it to your taste at the time of packaging. It's more work but it guarantees the levels will be good.

I made this last year, and while it's not technically witbier any more, it was a great hit!

5 gallons
5 lb wheat malt
2 lb vienna
2 lb Pale ale
3 lb honey

1 oz hallertau at 60 mins.
.5 oz hallertau at 15 mins.
.5 oz hallertau at 5 mins

1 tsp nutmeg, 2 star anise

fermenting with danstar munich classic.

OG. 1.079
FG 1.010
ABV 9%

I'm thinking of brewing later this week and thought a witbier mixed up with some wintry spices might be nice. I have some Ardennes 3522 yeast on hand, and I'll probably use that.

The closest thing I've found to this sort of recipe is clones of Sam Adams' White Christmas. I don't recall having ever had it myself. It seems like a witbier with orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg, but with clean ale yeast. I'm wondering if the Belgian character of my yeast will clash with the spices.

Here's a typical (double sized) recipe:

10 lb Wheat
8 lb Pilsner Malt
3 lb 2-Row
2 lb flaked Oats
1 lb Caramel Crystal 10

2 tsp cinnamon @ 10 min
2 tsp nutmeg @ 10 min
3/4 oz Sweet Orange Peel @ 5 min

More here.

Austin Homebrew has a kit without the light crystal addition.

Any thoughts on this, especially on Belgian yeast and spicing amounts? I have whole spices, and may go that route.
Couple years later but I was kicking around the thought of a winter wit myself this past week. Every year it's a spice porter or stout or bock with spice. Did you have success ? So far I've come up with Belgium pils, flaked oats, white wheat, aromatic, and dextrine. Maybe Styrian goldings or saaz and to give an extra clove spice kick maybe ferment with WB06. And of course the ubiquitous sweet orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Thanks

Couple years later but I was kicking around the thought of a winter wit myself this past week. Every year it's a spice porter or stout or bock with spice. Did you have success ? So far I've come up with Belgium pils, flaked oats, white wheat, aromatic, and dextrine. Maybe Styrian goldings or saaz and to give an extra clove spice kick maybe ferment with WB06. And of course the ubiquitous sweet orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Thanks
Zombie thread! I brewed something back in the day, and I think I remember my seasoning additions weren't enough. I looked up my notes, and I used the zest of 4 navel oranges, 2.5 sticks of badia cinnamon, and about 1tsp loosely packed freshly ground nutmeg. It all smelled great for those last minutes of the boil, but I don't think enough remained at packaging after fermentation blowoff.

I'm maybe going to brew again, and I'm considering doubling the spice amounts. alternatively, I could use the same amounts in a tincture or tea at kegging.

my grist was
4lb pils
3lb wheat malt (I probably didn't have flaked on hand, or was trying to use up some malted wheat)
1.5lb quick oats
3oz victory malt

I fermented with 522 last time, but 3787 is on hand now, so I'll do that. Or maybe I'll brew up a helles instead. I need something lighter to go on tap.

Zombie thread! I brewed something back in the day, and I think I remember my seasoning additions weren't enough. I looked up my notes, and I used the zest of 4 navel oranges, 2.5 sticks of badia cinnamon, and about 1tsp loosely packed freshly ground nutmeg. It all smelled great for those last minutes of the boil, but I don't think enough remained at packaging after fermentation blowoff.

I'm maybe going to brew again, and I'm considering doubling the spice amounts. alternatively, I could use the same amounts in a tincture or tea at kegging.

my grist was
4lb pils
3lb wheat malt (I probably didn't have flaked on hand, or was trying to use up some malted wheat)
1.5lb quick oats
3oz victory malt

I fermented with 522 last time, but 3787 is on hand now, so I'll do that. Or maybe I'll brew up a helles instead. I need something lighter to go on tap.
🤣 Zombie but only couple of years so a fresh zombie. I still may try my hand at it. Tried a sugar cookie wit last Christmas. Total disaster ! Never ever use baked sugar cookies preservatives or not in your wort !!! Never ever ever ! So this year I'm back to the ol spiced Xmas Porter.

I made this last year, and while it's not technically witbier any more, it was a great hit!

5 gallons
5 lb wheat malt
2 lb vienna
2 lb Pale ale
3 lb honey

1 oz hallertau at 60 mins.
.5 oz hallertau at 15 mins.
.5 oz hallertau at 5 mins

1 tsp nutmeg, 2 star anise

fermenting with danstar munich classic.

OG. 1.079
FG 1.010
ABV 9%
Potentially a dumb question, but is the 3 lb honey pure honey or a honey malt?

Back