Winter Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belmontbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for some critique of my first hand-crafted recipe. I want to make a Helles similar to Maui Brewing Company's Bikini Blonde Lager (I like the mouthfeel and slight sweetness), with a little extra body and alcohol to make it through a California winter. And mine will be an ale -- WLP080 as close to 68º as I can hold.

I'd specifically like opinions on the biscuit malt. I want something that will linger on the palate. Is 2 oz too much, too little, or totally unnecessary?

Thanks in advance!

Partial Mash at 155º:
1 lb Munich Malt
8 oz Carapils
2 oz Biscuit

Extract:
3 lb Pilsen LME (probably Breiss from Morebeer) at start of boil
3 lb Pilsen LME @ 15 min

Hops:
1 oz Liberty, 0.5 oz Sterling @ 60 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP080-Cream Ale Blend

Don't sweat the recipe, it looks fine. You probably don't need any of those grains, but WTF, if it makes you feel like you're doing something....;)

Put your energy into brewing it cleanly, sanitarily, flawlessly. Cool the wort quickly and to well below your ferment temp. Oxygenate. Build a big pitch of yeast. Control ferment temp as closely as possible, and raise the temp slightly as the kraeusen falls. Cold-condition for a month.

Correct any recipe issues on the next batch.

I would think that the munich should come through, maybe a hint of the carapils. I'd be really surprised if you could pick out the biscuit, but, hell, I've been surprised before.

Will the Munich and Biscuit convert by themselves, or should I add some 2-row to the grain bag?

Munich will convert by itself...and that's so little biscuit I'd guess there's a few extra enzymes from the Munich to get the job done.

I'll second everything 944play said above too.

'Spose I should have qualified my assertion with the fact that I have not tried the Maui Blonde. The Munich and stuff all sounds tasty, but not quite what I think of when I think Helles.

I had a pint of Spaten Premium at Gingerman Austin that anchored my perception of the style. The legumey (my word; Dr. Bamforth uses "beany") character of the malt is foremost over any toast or hop notes or yeast-derived stuff.

Back