winter ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
hey all... Im trying to put together recipe for a Winter Ale. Its quite similar to a local beer i quite enjoy. Heres what i have on the beer.. only problem is im not sure how much of each ingredient and when to add hops and so on..

Malts: Pale, Dark Munich, Crystal (40 or 60?)
Hops: Perle, Cascade
ibu 20
abv 5
i belive there is some vanilla in the beer too, whether its in bean or extract form im not sure.

Ill be doing a partial mash with about 5lb of pale dme. what would be a good amount of the remaining ingredients? Ive never put a recipe together before so i figure ill start with a clone of something im familiar with. Any help much appreciated.

It depends entirely on what you're looking for. What was the color? dark or light? Take a glance at a SRM chart.
What was the taste? malty? hoppy? bitter? toasty? these will all affect the final amounts.

Once you have this info, poke the malts and hops into into a calculator like tastybrew and see if the color and IBUs are. Adjust the amount of 60 minute hops to change the IBUs. Adjust the Munich and Crystal to change the color.

For a 5 gallon batch, the base malt (pale) is *usually* about 10 pounds. Start with 1 pound each of the munich and crystal.

For the hops, start with 1 oz of the higher "alpha Acid" hop at 60 minutes and 1 oz of the other at 5 minutes. When you are ready to sample the finished product, keep tasting notes. Drink it side by side with the beer you're trying to clone. Go back to the original recipie, make adjustments. Wash rinse repeat.

Back