Wine yeast in ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizzyman84

Reaction score
It's been about two and a half weeks since I brewed my first batch of wort, and I've learned a lot since then. When I was brewing though, I felt pretty overwhelmed trying to figure everything out and messed a lot of things up. Since it was the only yeast on hand that wasn't bread yeast, I tossed in a packet of Lalvin D47... which in hindsight feels even dumber than doing the whole packet for only a gallon batch. Should I be worried about it, or does it have a chance of at least being drinkable?

I'd expect this beer to be under-attenuated. Most wine yeasts can't use maltoriose and are bad at using maltose. I don't know about D47 (i.e. if it might be an exception).

If a gravity reading indicates that it hasn't fermented enough, go ahead and add some beer yeast.

i've been using premiere blanc for my beers recently. i add gluco to my beers too, so they ferment dry no matter what, but the yeast flocc's just fine. but, i find it doesn't quite have the body i get with notty. other then that you'll be fine. i'd imagine if you don't finish it at 1.000 you won't have the same problem as me.

Back