Wine vs. Beer Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I accidentally bought wine yeast nutrient when at the LHBS a while back. I am now out of beer yeast nutrient, so the wine yeast nutrient is all I got left. Any difference or reason not to use it for beer?

I emailed Wyeast with that question. They answered: "It is the same product with the same usage instructions for either wine or beer."

I did the same thing a few months ago. I ordered wine yeast nutrient instead of beer nutrient. The directions on the wine yeast called for 1 tsp per gal. So I added 5 tsp to the first batch. It took my pale ale down to 1.003. The last few batches I have used 1 tsp per 5 gal. They all finished in the 1.008 -1.012 range. Even on a big quad. I would still use it but limit it to 1/2 - 1 tsp. From the research I did at the time, I don't think they are the same.

From the research I did at the time, I don't think they are the same.

I've been treating my wine yeast nutrient as if it's the same as beer yeast nutrient - maybe I shouldn't. Do you remember anything about where you found the info? I should probably do some more reading on this.

Latest posts

Back