Wine sweetening question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I'm not to familiar with the proper process for sweetening wine. Can this be done right before bottling? I was planing to use corn sugar, is this ok? Also will it leave a sediment in the bottles afterwards?

I'm not to familiar with the proper process for sweetening wine. Can this be done right before bottling? I was planing to use corn sugar, is this ok? Also will it leave a sediment in the bottles afterwards?

My recommendation would be to use a wine conditioner, just before bottling - something like this - http://labelpeelers.com/global-vint...9QOgodzA0Avg&zenid=9gpkitnkfj9a46at0n68gc4md1

I think that using a sugar for sweetening may work if you're sure you've killed all the yeast. The wine conditioner has potassium sorbate to help insure that there's no further fermentation. What you don't want is to inadvertently create carbonated wine that will push your corks out.

I use this method. Pull a sample and sweeten to taste. Measure the SG of the sample, then add the conditioner to the wine a few ounces at a time, gently stirring it in, until the SG of the wine is the same as the SG of the sample.

Best of luck.

Wulfonce said:

Your wine must be perfectly clear. Sweeten to taste, then add potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate.

Your wine must be perfectly clear. Sweeten to taste, then add potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate.

Agreed.

I do NOT like wine conditioner. It has stabilizers, but you can't control the level of sweetness you want.

I like this approach. Once the wine is totally and completely clear, and not dropping any lees at all in at least 60 days in a new carboy, it can be racked onto the k-meta and sorbate. K-meta is 1/4 teaspoon of the powder per 6 gallons, or 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon of wine, dissolved in some boiling water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon to that mix, put it in a new carboy and rack the wine into that. Wait 3 days (minimum) and then add the sweetener to your taste. Wait three more days (minimum) and then bottle if fermentation hasn't been restarted.

Back