Over sweetened my sweet red wine, any ideas to help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was back sweetening my wine that just cleared and finished and overshot the landing on how much sugar I needed. It's very, very sweet, almost sickly. I thought about maybe making sangria out of it and seeing if the acidity from the citrus fruits might help balance out the sweetness? Any of you guys have any other ideas?

I've read that you can add more acid. I think it said your tastebuds perceive it to be less sweet. Personally I would blend with a less sweet wine or other beverage of choice. You could do this before drinking instead of bottling. I was going to toss an overlay sweet Yuzu kit wine and blended it with 3 gallons of a chipotle that was off the charts "chipotle". We all love it and would make again.

To ferment the added sugars. How well that works will depend on the current ABV, and current gravity (due to how much sugar was added).
There's already too much ethanol for my choice of yeast to ferment, and I don't have any other strains on my that have a higher tolerance. I've added some lemon, orange and lime peel and juice. As well as a little cinnamon. I'm letting it sit for a few days to extract flavor from the zest, then I'm going to rack it into a new vessel. I'm hoping the citrus and the cinnamon will help balance out the sweetness.

Latest posts

Back