Wine not ferminting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaisgood

Reaction score
I am new to wine making as well as my friend that got me started. And I have a question if you guys could help. My friend is making a orange, apple, and plume wine from concentrate juice. He started it Saturday and still has had no sign of fermenting. Does anyone have any ideas to way or what could of happened and how to fix it. Thanks

Do you have a lid on it? Are you just watching the airlock? The lid may not seal. Open it up and look at it. Did you add campden tablets, or sulfites if so did you wait 24 hours before pitching yeast? Did you rehydrate yeast?

Dark_Ale said:
Do you have a lid on it? Are you just watching the airlock? The lid may not seal. Open it up and look at it. Did you add campden tablets, or sulfites if so did you wait 24 hours before pitching yeast? Did you rehydrate yeast?

He does have a lid on it and is using an air lock, and no campden tablet or sulfites and didn't rehydrate yeast. Should he rehydrate the yeast before pitching. And is it to late to fix?

Yooper said:
What were the ingredients of the juice? If there is sorbate or benzoate in the list of ingredients, it probably won't ferment.

Not for sure on ingredients. All I no is it was a frozen concentrate.

shake or stir the hell out of it a few times and then keep it in a warm room at least 72 degrees.

If it's frozen concentrate, i'm going to guess that it's pretty preservative free.

If you still don't have any success, try adding more yeast but rehydrate it in tepid water with a spoon full of sugar for 15 minutes before you add it next time.

Dicky

Back