Wine Not Clearing After Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcohio

Reaction score
I'm in the process of completing a Chardonnay from wine expert. After primary fermentation was complete, I added in the potassium sorbate and fining agents to clear. 5 days later the wine is clear. I then added flavors, tannin and Xylitol to sweeten.

Before I added the tannin, and xylitol for sweetening, the wine was crystal clear. Now there's a bit if a haze to it. And it's been that way for over two weeks.

Any suggestions on what I could do to get it back crystal clear? Should I add more finning agents to it? See before and after pics below.

Before tannin, flavors, xylitol
E81B90E8-3D0E-4CBF-BC7E-3013A070D3E7.jpeg

After tannin, flavors, zylitol
000D2B81-022C-43C5-BC55-A5CB2DF87D6A.jpeg

Attachments

• A1A5714A-C5D8-408C-8C4A-A9D79817E899.jpeg
    A1A5714A-C5D8-408C-8C4A-A9D79817E899.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 4
Generally the bentonite that is added at the first stage with water and juice should do the job. Time can be administered to kits as it is to juice wines. If you are in an area that has 0-15C temps outside, I would change out your airlock water with vodka and try a cold stabilization, it won't hurt at all, or if you have a large enough cooler to maintain temp.

Great! Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it clears with time.

Generally the bentonite that is added at the first stage with water and juice should do the job. Time can be administered to kits as it is to juice wines. If you are in an area that has 0-15C temps outside, I would change out your airlock water with vodka and try a cold stabilization, it won't hurt at all, or if you have a large enough cooler to maintain temp.

Back