Wine help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWilson

Reaction score
I have just recently started homebrewing. I have been more than pleased with my results so far. However, SWMBO is not a beer drinker, can't stand the taste of it. She loves wine. She is a big fan of merlot, and other drier reds. She also happens to like Ruinite Lambrusco, even if it is the cheap stuff. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a merlot kit or a recipe clone for the Lambrusco? Also, what else would I need for making wine that I might not have in my brewery? Thanks in advance for helping me to keep SWMBO happy.

i know one thing for sure will be a 7+ gallon primary because most wine kits are a 6 gallon yield if im not mistaken and you probably wont want to use your beer fermenters

There are lots of wine kits that are very good! If she likes lambrusco, maybe she'd like an "Island Mist" kit. They are kind of like wine coolers and not really my thing but I've tried some of them and think most women would like them. (I'm a beer and wine snob even though I try not to be). I had one that was kiwi something (maybe kiwi apple?) and it was good. They tend to be fast to make and sweetened.

As far as regular wine kits, there are many that vary in price from about $60 to $150. They all make 6 gallons. I use my regular primary 7.5 bucket but then I either use a 6 gallon carboy or a 5 gallon and a 1 gallon jug. I've made the cheaper kits and been very happy with them but I've sampled some premium kits and they are definitely better. The premium kits have grape skin packs in them, where the cheaper kits have concentrated juice. I've been happy with the juice packs, so I haven't ventured into the premium kits. You can probably find a good merlot kit for $75 or so. You will need corks, and a corker. Some LHBS rent them out. I've purchased 3 corkers because I didn't think I'd need an expensive one. I had the el cheapo one (insert with a mallet, yeah, right!), the $27 Gilda corker, and finally the floor corker. If your LHBS doesn't rent them, consider a higher end corker because corking is a major PITA. (I've never kegged and bottled hundreds of gallons of beer and never complained- 6 gallons of wine made me purchase a floor corker).

I made a Vinter's Reserve Valpollicella that I paid $57 for and have been very happy with. If your wife likes dry reds, she'd really like it. Lambrusco to me is way too sweet, that's why I mentioned the Island Mist kits. If you go online (AHS has lots of wine kits) and find a kit you'd think she'd like, I bet you'd be right. And by the way, wine kits are super easy. Much easier than beer, IMHO.

I have to recommend you stay away from any Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Red kit. I have made a few and have been disappointed with every one of them. The whites such as the Pinot Grigio are very good though.

For a red wine, go with the best kit you can afford. The Wine Expert Stag's Leap District Merlot is very good. I have recently switched to the Mosti Mondiale All Juice kits. You get 100% varietal juice and no concentrate. Many people complain about Kit Taste in wine kits and I believe this comes from the concentration process. I have heard of no one complaining about any off tastes in a Mosti kit. Don't get me wrong though, the WE kits are pretty good as well. I recommend Wine Expert Selection Estate kits or better yet, Mosti All Juice kits.

One last thing to remember is that much more patience is required for wine. Time is your friend. Don't expect a really good red wine in less than 2 years. You will hear people say their wine was great at bottling or after 6 months but if you don't have taste expectations exactly like theirs, you will be disappointed. I have found that every WE red I have made has a kit taste that dissipates after about a year and a half to a year when the wine is finally starting to mature.

Also, try not to use a fermenter used for beer for your wine. It can leech flavors into your wine. And remember, most beer is 5 gallon batches, wine is 6 gallon batches. Don't try to make a 6 gallon kit in a 5 gallon carboy. It will throw the balance off and you probably will not like the results. The concentrate kits are perfectly balanced and by not rehydrating to the full amount it throws the entire process off. Contrary to what some say, you will not get a more full bodied wine.

All the Selection (used to be Wine Experts) are very good. I especially like the Valpolicella. After making beer, you'll find wine kits extremely easy.

TWilson-your wife sounds like mine-Merlot is also her favorite wine and she's not a big beer fan. I've homebrewed for a long time, but never made any wine (other than Apfelwein-does that count?).

Anyway, I just purchased a Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Merlot (about $62), and a new fermenting bucket. The separate bucket was recommended due to hops oils residue/taste that can remain in the plastic bucket.
Wifey is not a wine snob, she usually gets the bag in box variety, so we decided to give the wine kit a try. We put it in the fermenter on Sat night, and it is bubbling away. I've been collecting bottles and a neighbor has a corker, so for me, the only additional purchase was corks and a bucket (I also recently bought a a 6 gallon carboy).

Nothing really to add, just that I was in the same place as you are now-give it a try and good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will look into some of the kits mentioned. As for a fermenter, can I use a 6.5 gal carboy? Is there much krausen with wine fermentation? Thanks again for all the help.

TWilson said:
As for a fermenter, can I use a 6.5 gal carboy?
I'm currently doing 6 gallon batches in 6 gallon carboys. Prior to pitching the yeast, three gallons of the must was racked to another carboy and half the yeast pitched into each. When the gravity fell to around 1.010, the wine was racked back into the bigger carboy, filling it to the top while it finished fermenting. This keeps the carboys as full as possible, keeping the air out.

Back