Wine for christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
Hi all my wife has asked me to make some wine for her work and i know i am a little late getting started. So i decided to do a kit. I am looking at doing a pinot what kit is recommended here is what i am lookin at
Wine expert vinters reserve
Cellar crafts sterling
Any feedback will be grate thanks all

It depends on your goal. The WE Vintner's Reserve kits are easy, and they make a wine similar in quality to a "Two Buck Chuck" or a $5-7 bottle of wine in the end. They aren't complex or "deep" flavored but they are drinkable and while they won't please a wine snob, they make a good dinner wine for everyday.

The best kits ($150 and up) make a really good bottle of wine.

The middle kits make a decent wine also.

Its for her work people she runs an assisted living. I brew beer and cider and have done the vinters reserve once before a riseling and it was pretty easy.

If you were doing it what would you select even if it was not one i mentioned.

My lhbs has a few other options like Eclipse and a few others

Its for her work people she runs an assisted living. I brew beer and cider and have done the vinters reserve once before a riseling and it was pretty easy.

If you were doing it what would you select even if it was not one i mentioned.

My lhbs has a few other options like Eclipse and a few others

If I wanted a "good" wine, I'd go with the Eclipse or Cellar Craft Showcase kits.

I know they are far more expensive, but with wine kits, you really do get what you pay for.

Which would you do? Have you ever had eclipse?

No, that's relatively new and I haven't been a huge Winexpert fan so haven't tried those. Others on the forum who have reported good results.

I love Cellar Craft Showcase (the ones with the grape skins and more juice and less concentrate) in the $150 range. They are expensive, and I do a mix of cheap, moderate and expensive so I always have a variety of quality wines on hand. The Winexpert Vintners Reserve kits are fine for us,l but I don't serve those to guests.

I had a couple of Eclipse Kits given to me, the Merlot and the Zinf, I normally don't make Kit wines, but I wasn't going to refuse a Premium kit.
That said, the Merlot has been aging since Feb, it is a decent wine, everything that you would look for in a Merlot.
The Zinf has been aging since Feb as well, but this particular kit I put through an oak barrel to give it a little bit more character.
Both wines are good, If you want your wife to make a good impression, I'd go with one of the better Kits.

Tom

I definatly want to make a good impression. I may try an exlipse i am headed for my lhbs 45 min away. Lets see what happens ans there recomendatiob

You'll also want to choose one that will be ready to drink in just a few months. A lot of reds take a while (2+ years) before they hit their stride.

You sure the coworkers wouldn't be equally impressed with a good cider spiced specially for the Christmas season (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, etc)?

I was going to say that a strong flavored red won't be very good by Christmas, they do need time. I don't know about a Pinot, they are lighter, haven't made one.

I did a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, everyone loves it, even red drinkers. Plenty complex, plenty of acid backbone.

Thanks everyone i have some merlot that will be aged 6 months so she is like i will take that. But the demonishs my stock lol. So i picked up a winexpert selection series Rioja

image-1565872298.jpg

Latest posts

Back