Wine- First Stab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meylo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been brewing beer for several years now. The other day my girlfriend showed an interest in brewing wine. I thought that was something we can totally do together. So, I bought all the supplies.

Can someone point me to a good first time recipe? I would love your input.

:drunk::mug:

Look into any of the welches recipes. Theres a bunches of recipes out there and they come out tasty since welches has a pretty good juice to begin with. I'm doing white grape peach and white grape raspberry now and they're tasting awesome. I'm still pretty new to making wine and and they have been good to me. I got my recipes from winemakingtalk.com. They have some good info on there and im slowly picking it up, just gotta sift through it.

Buy a mist type kit. They are easy, quick and darn tasty! Makes the next one easy because you'll have 30 bottles to drink while you wait.

A good wine kit is hard to beat. It gives you a set structure to learn from so if you want to experiment in the future, then you have the base knowledge to go off of.

Welche's wines are a great as well. I always keep a white grape peach on hand at all times. My recipe is as follows:

1 gallon Welche's recipe:

4 cans of Welche's frozen concentrate (any flavor or combination if you like)
1 TBS of loose leaf black tea (I like to use earl grey but any tea works)
1tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b-1112

Just mix everything together. Even the loose leaf tea. It does not need to be in bags or such. It drops out easily with the yeast. The original gravity should be 1.080. Once mixed up you leave it alone in a dark place for 2 weeks. Move the gallon jar/jug to the fridge and leave it there for 2 more weeks. Then you will have a hard cake of lees at the bottom and a crystal clear wine on top. Slowly move the jar to where you want to siphon into bottles and you should get 4 750ml bottles worth. There is remaining liquid but that is usually too close to the lees to get it without sucking lees up. This makes a fine dry wine. If you want it sweeter then instead of bottling there, rack this into a new clean jug and dissolve 1 crushed Camden tablet and 1/2tsp of sorbate in a little water and add that to the racked clear wine. Add sugar to the wine to a gravity of 1.04 for an off dry wine. 1.01 for a sweet wine and 1.02 for a really sweet wine. Immediately put this back in the fridge and wait 4-5 days. If fermentation does not pick up then feel free to bottle.

If you want to do fresh fruits the just google "Jack Keller (insert fruit name) Wine" jack Keller's site is top notch with good recipes.

Add sugar to the wine to a gravity of 1.04 for an off dry wine. 1.01 for a sweet wine and 1.02 for a really sweet wine. Immediately put this back in the fridge and wait 4-5 days. If fermentation does not pick up then feel free to bottle.

I'm sure Arpolis means 1.004, not 1.04 ::mug::

Latest posts

Back