Wine book/resources for experienced beer brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I've made some wine before and it turned out alright. I want to give it another shot with fresh grapes this time. Of course, they are expensive, so I want to do a good job. I'm an experienced homebrewer with over a hundred batches brewed. I'm hoping someone can point me to some resources that run through the basics, but assume some competency.

Specifically, some things I'd like to know:

- what kind of yeast and yeast starter should I prepare?
- how should I handle the water chemistry and pH?
- more about the grape crushing process

thanks..!

I've never found a wine book that I like. The best resource I can think of is JackKeller.net. Jack is the "John Palmer of wine making", I guess as he's the authority figure that most people quote when talking about home winemaking.

His site is sort of hard to navigate but it's a real gem. He's got a ton of information on that site, and probably where I learned most of my wine making techniques from.

"Techniques in Home Winemaking: The Comprehensive Guide to Making Chateau-Style Wine" by Daniel Pambianchi...Definitely a good overall run-down of winemaking and has just about everything you'd ever want to know about the ins and outs of pro stuff without actually hittin Oeneology Textbooks. A worthwhile read, WILL help, though not free. Got mine retail for 15 but it might be more costly. Have read it cover-to-cover a lot.

EDIT:

Water chemistry? You've much to learn, grasshopper, e.g. what water? Crush depends on style/type, starters need not apply. Rehydration with go-ferm or a little must is all that's necessary. This book will give you what you need and probably a good deal about what you want to know.

Back