Wine bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaM

Reaction score
I'm a beginner. I have put my first two kits into wine bags, because it was easy.

One was a red wine which I'm sure would be better with age.

From what I've now read, the problem with storing wine in bags for aging is that the bags oxidise, which I didn't know when I put the wine into them.

My question is, if I put the bags into something airtight, would that stop them from oxidising?

I'm a beginner. I have put my first two kits into wine bags, because it was easy.

One was a red wine which I'm sure would be better with age.

From what I've now read, the problem with storing wine in bags for aging is that the bags oxidise, which I didn't know when I put the wine into them.

My question is, if I put the bags into something airtight, would that stop them from oxidising?
I have never even heard of a wine bag? A wine strainer bag yes. Or wine skins to drink from like hippies in the early 70s.

I did the same with my first wines, and they were still ok after a year's ageing. I found a web page that had taken a very thorough approach at comparing the effects of bags vs bottles, and the conclusion was that if it's wine you care about then put it in bottles. That said, the article didn't say it would be ruined in a bag, just not quite as good as it could have been.

So I've switched to bottles for ageing stuff, but happy to use bags for wines that are drinkable either immediately or after a month or two (my elderflower and rhubarb wines go into a box which then sits in the fridge for on-tap boozing!)

Edit: found the thread where the penny dropped for me: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/should-i-wait.657923 - and here's the link to that page that did the comparison: http://www.academicwino.com/2014/02/bag-in-box-versus-glass-bottles.html/

Back