Windows 11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading about "Multi-Gig" WAN ports... Not really an IEEE standard and still associated with 10Gb physical ports. Just saying, seems a bit proprietary IMO. So lookout! :D
I might end up waiting for 10Gb ports to come 'standard' for this. Of course, it all depends on other things. like what my service speed is. Right now I'm fighting motorola due to their crap modem (MB86111) rebooting every 1-4 days (for well over a month). Swapped to a netgear CM1200 (from a friend) a week ago. Not a single reboot (after the normal/initial ones you get when setting one up). Moto support claimed it was the ISP. Nope, 100% green state from the pole to the modem. Zero other issues with the service line from the pole upstream too. The one sitting here is the replacement for the one I bought. I had to pay return ship on the first one (which is BS since it was under warranty). Which means I'm out more than the unit price (total so far is about $185).

Bottom line, I won't recommend anyone get a moto modem now, or anytime in the future. Especially since if it develops issues (high chance) you're going to be spending even MORE in the hope you get a 'good' replacement at some point.

@passedpawn @day_trippr Using the Linksys AX6000 for my router/WAP (wifi 6, but my personal laptop isn't). Has more than enough coverage for where I'm living now. Who knows when I move but I can always add the mesh items at that point. I'll be looking at getting a router with at least a 2.5Gb WAN port at some point. Of course, my modem will need to support that too. Been trying to use a motorola MB8611 but it keeps rebooting every few days (1-4). Testing with a nutgear that a friend gave me and it's been a week without any issue. Motorola support keeps claiming it's the ISP. Had them out to fully test the service line. Zero issues there. I already did one return/replace with moto, so I'm out even MORE than the cost of the unit (I had to pay return ship for the first one). Suffice to say I'm pissed off at moto at this point.

Yea, all these routers are commodity electronics and will die at some point. I really like the Asus routers - very nice firmware on them with traffic analyzers, attached client lists, all sorts of neat stuff.

Yea, all these routers are commodity electronics and will die at some point. I really like the Asus routers - very nice firmware on them with traffic analyzers, attached client lists, all sorts of neat stuff.
Failure at <2 months is BS. Not even dying, just poor hardware or faulty firmware on the ones being sent out. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a couple of years after purchase. But at so soon from purchase (supposed to have a warranty on the item) it tells me they really don't care. I stopped getting motorola phones due to major QC issues with the devices and poor support of them. Looks like I should have stayed clear of their modems as well.

Tryin to tell you guys... Ubuntu 20.04 is the most painless OS I have tried since the days of OS/2 Warp. Mint is basically another pea in the same pod. Try it on your old obsolete (but not TOO obsolete... it would suck on a XT class machine if it would run at all) hardware. Or run it from a Live USB for a couple of weeks.

Tryin to tell you guys... Ubuntu 20.04 is the most painless OS I have tried since the days of OS/2 Warp. Mint is basically another pea in the same pod. Try it on your old obsolete (but not TOO obsolete... it would suck on a XT class machine if it would run at all) hardware. Or run it from a Live USB for a couple of weeks.
Will it run the 100 apps that I need to make a living? Are there drivers for all the hardware I connect to my PC?

Will it run the 100 apps that I need to make a living? Are there drivers for all the hardware I connect to my PC?
Somw Windows apps can be run under Wine (WINE Is Not an Emulator)
Linux does recognize a lot of hardware these days. Heres's a website on what hardware works with Linux, although you can be pretty certain that devices that require specialized software probably won't work (i.e. Lexmark stuff): Linux Hardware Database

Possibly, though it is more likely that you would be using open source LInux apps to do the same thing. As for hardware compatibility, you might be surprised. Possibly disappointed, maybe delighted. Until you try, you will never know. If WinDOHs has become unacceptable, then working with the 'nix world might be the only way forward.

My Windows usage on personal devices has been negligible over the past decade or so. I started off dual-booting XP with SimplyMepis Linux years ago, and my XP partition got almost no use after I quit playing AoE. I eventually switched to Linux Mint, and went without a windows partition.

I have been working on a project lately that motivated me to switch to Ubuntu Studio, but I anticipate that I'll be switching back to Mint again in the not to distant future. I actually do have a windows partition on this device, but I can't remember the last time I booted it.

I'm still leery of Windows since the years of Gates and Ballmer spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) with made up legal issues where Linux somehow infringed on Microsoft patents.

Also, Firefox is the best browser.

My Windows usage on personal devices has been negligible over the past decade or so. I started off dual-booting XP with SimplyMepis Linux years ago, and my XP partition got almost no use after I quit playing AoE. I eventually switched to Linux Mint, and went without a windows partition.

I have been working on a project lately that motivated me to switch to Ubuntu Studio, but I anticipate that I'll be switching back to Mint again in the not to distant future. I actually do have a windows partition on this device, but I can't remember the last time I booted it.

I'm still leery of Windows since the years of Gates and Ballmer spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) with made up legal issues where Linux somehow infringed on Microsoft patents.

Also, Firefox is the best browser.
FIrefox is pretty good, but I am really liking Brave right now.

damn readin this thread, i feel like the same kid i was at the comodore club with old ww2 vets when i was 11-12....thinking to myself, what the hell is all this stuff their talking about.....i mean i remember tape drives, BBs, but 10Gb wifi? WTF? lol, tilt hydrometers in fermenters? still cool listenin to the olddies!

Occasionally there are articles on "how to" and "whether or not to" switch to a different platform. A newer (and new to me) article can be found here (link). It's refreshing to see that many of the recent articles have moved beyond name calling ...

For most of my "at home" calculation / digital communication needs, a hypothetical next generation Raspberry PI may be the "sweet spot".

And from what I've been scanning, Raspberry Pi ecosystem seems to be interesting in having fun building things and delivering value.

I'll be sticking with Win10 for the near term for these reasons:

1) None of my current desktops pass the TPM 2.0 test. They are old and overdue for upgrades anyway but I'll need to budget for replacements, probably next year.
2) The Surface Pro 6 I use for my job will run it. But I'm in the middle of a big project that wont wrap up until ~02/2022 and there's no way I'm going to risk any potential impact from an OS upgrade. I simply cant afford that sort of hiccup.

But I will get to Win11 soon enough. Interestingly this is the first time in my career that I havent already been using the latest OS version. I've even typically used pre-release versions in production capacity to truly test things before GA. While I have been using pre-release bits via Windows Insider builds, it's only been in a VM that I only start up every now and then.

As to Windows -vs- Linux: I dabble with NIX distros too. But at the end of the day, I need Windows for the work I do. So I'll be a Windows user until either I no longer do the work I do or the OS lines blur so much that it doesn't matter anymore.
Trends seem to suggest we're on that path but we're certianly not quite there yet.

#DanceWithTheOneThatBrungYa

2) The Surface Pro 6 I use for my job will run it. But I'm in the middle of a big project that wont wrap up until ~02/2022 and there's no way I'm going to risk any potential impact from an OS upgrade. I simply cant afford that sort of hiccup.

FYI I did upgrade to Win11 and it was completely painless. Everything works as it did before, including external hardware (e.g., JTAG debuggers). All of my software that is important (compilers, pcb design tools, etc) still work fine. The ONLY thing I've noticed that didn't make the transition was a stock ticker widget that was on my desktop.

I don't see much difference at all frankly. Some minor gui improvements (options for tiling apps on the desktop is nice). I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to 11 now, but I guess I like to keep my computer up-to-date.

FYI I did upgrade to Win11 and it was completely painless. Everything works as it did before, including external hardware (e.g., JTAG debuggers).

Yeah, and honestly I expect that will be my experience too. But speaking of experience; when you decide to do things like this in the middle of a big project, thats when "Murphy" decides to show up! :ghostly:

I expect that will be my experience too. But speaking of experience, when you decide to do things like this in the middle of a big project, thats when "Murphy" decides to show up!
Yup.

No benefit with (even a small) risk of something bad happening? ==> no reason to take the risk.

As of today, Windows 10 gets update for roughly 4 more years (support ends mid-Oct 2025 ). Plenty of time to investigate alternatives. So, for me, at home, no reason to buy new hardware for the next two or three years.

I'll be chased off of W10P by lack of security updates when that happens.

Two roads I could follow: there are hacks that allow upgrades to W11P while not conforming to the TPMS * SecureBoot * Whatever Other Stuff On Their List; or build a new machine. I'm inclined to go the latter route, just need to get around to the build. What has been holding me back for some time is the chaos in the graphics card marketplace.

Meanwhile I keep seeing stuff about W11 being a basket case fraught with potential irrecoverable loss of OS integrity...

Cheers!

I'll be chased off of W10P by lack of security updates when that happens.

Two roads I could follow: there are hacks that allow upgrades to W11P while not conforming to the TPMS * SecureBoot * Whatever Other Stuff On Their List; or build a new machine. I'm inclined to go the latter route, just need to get around to the build. What has been holding me back for some time is the chaos in the graphics card marketplace.

Meanwhile I keep seeing stuff about W11 being a basket case fraught with potential irrecoverable loss of OS integrity...

Cheers!
I have been able to set up dual boot with Linux on a brand new Win11 machine, so they haven't totally borked the machines with Secure Boot, etc.

Brew on :mug:

at the far end of the spectrum, I'm stuck at Win98 + patches for my quite old CNC machine thanks to a hardware dependency on utilizing a Parallel Port for data exchange to my servos (remember those monstrous plugs?). USB ports don't have the ability to match what can be done with a hijacked Parallel Port, at least with the version of software I run, and I live in daily fear that I'll have an issue that drops my Prod workstation leaving me dead and without remedy but to purchase an entirely new system and reprogram all of my G-code to align to the new machines/hardware

I know I could upgrade hardware and motion controller software, but the effort to do so would cripple me for awhile so I kick the can down the road once again.

good news is that I put a temporary pause to all of my Prod work for a much needed mental break. bad news is that I'll need to turn the system back on and have my gut turn into a pretzel during boot up in hopes that I cheated the inevitable once again with this power on

and so I pour another beer, glass of wine, or Bourbon and do my best to ignore the inevitable crash that will eventually come. I hope to get by for another year or two to a place where I can have the time to make smart choices and upgrade as my bank account permits

Win 98... That wasn't a terrible system for the time.

But I think you're on borrowed time if you're still using that in a mission critical role. But I'm sure you know that and know how you'll handle it when it gives up.

Win 98... That wasn't a terrible system for the time.

But I think you're on borrowed time if you're still using that in a mission critical role. But I'm sure you know that and know how you'll handle it when it gives up.
I will sit in a puddle of tears when it gives up, drinking oxidized NEIPAs an warm fermented Lagers

The solution for my dilemma unfortunately requires a significant $$ investment into new machinery and associated computer/software wizardry, and then a reworking of the CAD models plus reprogramming of the G-code to accommodate the nuances of this new machinery/software

in two years I'll have available cash flow to make such an investment, but not at this point. I refuse to leverage my personal equity to get there sooner, when I can instead eliminate my monthly mortgage and then use those funds for CNC system upgrade finances.

and so I will continue to kick the Win98 can down the alley yet another day hoping today isn't the day that I become a statistic

The solution for my dilemma unfortunately requires a significant $$ investment into new machinery and associated computer/software wizardry, and then a reworking of the CAD models plus reprogramming of the G-code to accommodate the nuances of this new machinery/software
If your CAD/CNC application works fine under Win98, as a stand-alone system, not connected to the internet, there should be no worries for intrusion or infection, right?

For the same reason, I still run a WinXP setup driving my (once pricey) image scanners, using a SCSI chain. There is no driver/software support for SCSI interfaces after WinXP.

Our current (older) PCs won't upgrade past Win10, but we still prefer using Win7, which we do.

If your CAD/CNC application works fine under Win98, as a stand-alone system, not connected to the internet, there should be no worries for intrusion or infection, right?

For the same reason, I still run a WinXP setup driving my (once pricey) image scanners, using a SCSI chain. There is no driver/software support for SCSI interfaces after WinXP.

Our current (older) PCs won't upgrade past Win10, but we still prefer using Win7, which we do.
yep - 100% stand-alone out in the faraday cage, er ... metal shop building. I have no concerns for a hacker's intrusion as they'd have to be inside the shop with a pair of CAT5 cables and a switch/hub in order to have a chance at connecting to the CNC. there is no wireless capability, and IIRC there's no network card so even the CAT5 cables and hub would be useless

The Windows 11 upgrade was painless on the systems I've upgraded. But my wife's laptop isn't supported, although it's not old. The CPU isn't one that MS has blessed. My parents had to buy a new printer, as their beloved Brother inkjet didn't function.

The main driver, for most folks in a connected world, is that Microsoft ends all support and updates for Windows 10 as of October 2025.

Fast forward to today, running Win11 on all systems I use. The TPM "requirement" is horse pucky but it is what it is.

There's always stuff to not like or complain about with each major version release. But thank god we aren't dealing with the same horrors of Win8 and its "Start Screen". That was a huge FAIL...

My biggest complaint is with Explorer. Its a bit buggier than ever. Periodic refreshes that cause taskbar icons to "pulse" (don't have a better description), Windows sometimes cover the taskbar and require explore to be ended and restarted to recover from etc...

I still have to use "OpenShell" to keep the classic Windows look. I would be using Fedora or Ubuntu if not for finding the original ClassicShell many years ago.

I hope that, but the time our Win10 media/Zoom laptop croaks, Zoom will run stably on Linux. Zoom worked fairly reliably on the Kubuntu box for a while but began to crash on launch. The only other thing I sometimes need Windows for is superior Android connectivity, though Kubuntu has improved in that regard.

I spent far too much of my IT career waiting for Windows to restart (until we went with desktop virtualization). I have no plan that includes Win11 — but we'll see. 😕 I hope it serves folks well.

I dual boot linux mint and win 11 on my amd rig and dual boot win 10 and linux mint on my laptop. There are a couple of things microshaft that if I didn't have to use I would just be on linux. Linux is so much easier to install and more automated these days plus I love that I can still use the command line.

Back